Monster THX cables

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by EduardoBonifaz, May 10, 2003.

1. EduardoBonifaz

EduardoBonifaz Stunt Coordinator

HI folks,
    I actually have my set up (humble to me) with monster cables (I live in Mexico and they are easy to find),My set up consists basically of Sony 51" widescreen HDTV ready, Sony processor/receiver (does DTS), Misubishi DVD player (interlaced and going for a 480p soon as my wife accepts), I´d spent hours explaining her the advantages of progressive scan with little results.
    Sat tv, minidisc deck and a cd changer, I use monster cable for all the hook ups, I have no complaints, I recently saw the monster THX cable and I have questions, first, moving to this new cables would be an improvement (I was thinking about changing my actual component cable for this one), since none of my gear is THX certified, would you consider the change as an improvement?, to be very honest when I moved from cheap cables (cable in the box), to monster in my whole set up I thought the difference would hit me in the face but it was a very subtle one (audio and video) I mean picture is great, audio is fine as it can be with the crappy HT in a box speakers I have, so I want to know if you consider moving to this new ones
    thanks for the help[​IMG]

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Honestly I think the answer is no Eduardo. Regretfully, there are no published specifiations for THX cables and in all likelyhood, virtually every cable made today will pass THX specs provided a manufacturer wants to send them in and pay the licensing fees.
    Now you could certainly buy what's called broadcast quality cables. Those cable have specifications that vastly and I do mean vastly exceed the capabilities of your system. And not your system, anybodies. Typically, the limiting unit is your DVD player which does not have a very large bandwidth requirement. The broadcast cables, which tend to be thick, heavy, and not so easy to bend, have specifications that are maybe 10 to 100 or more times greater than you need. My analogy is if you can only travel 55 mph, then buying a vehicle that can do 120 or 150 or 220 is an excercise in personal reasons not based on actual need. You still aren't allowed to go past 55 mph.
    Being in Mexico City, I'm thinking that much of your flooring may be ceramic tiles. If so, you may wish to investigate some area carpeting as well as strategic wall hangings to deal with issues of what's called first reflections from your speakers.
    Keep being nice to your wife and keep her involved in your interests...oh...and take out the garbage once in a while too!

3. EduardoBonifaz

EduardoBonifaz Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your help Chu, your comments are great help to me, but about osnter THx cables, are they selling the same brand cables just with a THX logo with no advantages over the regular one´s? taht would be a very sad marketing strategy, I almost feel disaponited about monster...

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well seeing as Monster does not provide specifications for their cables unlike Radio Shack which will email you documents detailing their specs, one does not know if the differences are largely of a cosmetic or more substantial nature. However it's not really sad Eduardo as many companies in many areas do similar things. Premium does not alway mean different ingredients.
    If you wish to purchase cables with superior electrical properties you can look towards RG-6 or RG-59 (smaller wire than RG6 and more flexible) broadcast type cables. Quite possibly, there are local sources in Mexico for AV professional cables where you can look and that might save you some money. You won't be the first person who bought cables with a preference for theoretical advantages!

5. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor