What's new

Monster surge protector w/signal filter. Worth it or useless? (1 Viewer)

Wesley S

Stunt Coordinator
My father got this yesterday at Best Buy. It was $80 and just like all Monster stuff it was expensive but it comes with signal filter. Is this signal filter a gimmick or does it actually help?

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
This wud be one of Monster's entry level surge suppressors, and like most surge protectors it contains some sort of coils and gizmos to filter AC line noise for RF/EMI interference riding on electrical lines. It's good to have, but nothing magical. Again, at this level, it's rather minimal.

Surge protector companies such as Panamax that publish specs (Monster does not) will rate this filtering at something like 50dB or 60dB (measured at some frequencies)and claim 99 percent effectiveness. (edit: Monster goes "Stage 1" "Stage 2" etc.)

bill

Wesley S

Stunt Coordinator
Yea they had some for $200 (Monster)

Our cable line here is spectacular (digital cable) and we've never had any problems with snow.

Now my next question is is it better to have this surge protector or is it better to get say an APC dedicated backup. I mean they are made for computers but won't they work for Televisions also?

Joe Becker

Auditioning
I bought the Monster HTS 2000 a couple years back after reading a number of favorable reviews. I believe I detected a bit of better sound from CD's and definitely noted a slight improvement in cable tv picture. I thought it was worth the $199 to me. Your mileage may vary:)

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Wesley,

You might check thisPOSTfrom Saturday.

This is geared toward a HT system w/ various components. If just a tv, a computer surge unit is better than nothing. Dont expect any of these units to affect picture quality to a great degree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks