Monster Subwoofer PowerCenter & split receptacle?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Simon Ngan, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Simon Ngan

Simon Ngan Stunt Coordinator

I came across this Monster Subwoofer PowerCenter and I wonder if it will work with split receptacle?

http://www.monstercable.com/power/pr...r.asp?pin=1218

I'm no electrican but I know when I replaced the receptacle where my subwoofer is plugged into, I have to cut the copper that is in the middle of the receptacle. Another word, the top outlet is on a different circuit than the botton outlet.

So I need to know by plugging into one of these would screw up the circuit? I really don't have room to put a normal power bar where the subwoofer is sitting. The rest of the system is on a Panamax 5500.

Thanks for your help,

Simon

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Basically you will lose any advantage (and the use) of the second circuit on your split receptacle if you use the Sub PowerCenter.

It looks like it is using the top half of the circuit for power (normally common top and bottom in a standard wired receptacle as you noted when you had to remove the copper bar of your split unit) and has an extra ground plug into the bottom half of the outlet. I think they are either trying to guarantee that you have a ground, or it just helps the thing stay in the wall....

It won't hurt the circuit as the ground will be common anyways, but you are losing your second separate circuit.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Simon,

Judging from what I can see from the pictures, the Monster plugs into only one of the outlet's receptacles (the top one), so you won't have any problems using it. However, as Paul noted, you will no longer have access to the second receptacle/circuit.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Simon Ngan

Simon Ngan Stunt Coordinator

Thank you guys for the information. I should have taken a closer look at the picture myself. I need the 2nd circuit for other stuff badly so I guess it's a bad idea to use this as I'll lose the 2nd receptacle.

Thanks again,

Simon