What's new

Monster Squad on 10/28 (1 Viewer)

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
I check with IMDB and the original studio was Tri-Star, which we all know is a SONY company. Why would SONY not reclaim their home video distribution rights?

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
So, the disc is supposed to be out next week. Any news? Nothing on DVDPriceSearch yet, and this thread seems inconclusive, unless I've missed something.

Thanks,

- Bob P.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I check with IMDB and the original studio was Tri-Star, which we all know is a SONY company. Why would SONY not reclaim their home video distribution rights?
There could be more to it than that. "Terminator 2" was theatrically distributed by Tri-Star but it's gone through a few home video companies.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Thing about TriStar was that it was an amalgam of three different studios (Columbia, Fox and [I think] Universal). Eventually, Columbia bought the other two out and folded TriStar into its own operations. This is why a lot of TriStar material was released by Columbia on video in the 80s, but a handful of material (The Muppets Take Manhattan and Peggy Sue Got Married come to mind) was released by Fox. T2 was released by TriStar, but Carolco held on to the video rights (much like they did with Rambo: First Blood Part II, which was also distributed by TriStar) to release through LIVE Home Entertainment, which later became Artisan. Looking in greater detail @ the IMDb listing, it appears that the production company for Monster Squad was Taft Entertainment, whose product was distributed on video by Vestron (as was the case with Monster Squad). My best guess would be that either Artisan or MGM holds the rights now, going by this.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Oh, what a tangled web...

THE MONSTER SQUAD was part of a three-picture package produced by Taft Entertainment, a former TV operation that at one time, owned Hanna-Barbere animation and amusement parks like Kings Island. (The other two were THE RUNNING MAN and LIGHT OF DAY). Taft initially made a deal with the former TriStar to release the films theatrically, but retained the video rights to them.

Taft was eventually fused with it's TV arm, Worldvision, and later with Spelling Entertainment, into Republic Pictures, which was bought by Blockbuster. Blockbuster, in turn, was bought by Viacom.

Initially, Vestron handled all three movies on video. The rights eventually reverted to the former Republic, who just before the Viacom buyout, made a deal with Vestron's successor Artisan, so that is how reissues of THE RUNNING MAN have continued to be under the Artisan label. MONSTER SQUAD and LIGHT OF DAY have never been big hits, video or otherwise, hence there has been no reissue of them on DVD up to this time.

Republic's deal with Artisan is set to expire either next year or in 2005, at which time Paramount will begin to take control of the library. As such, it is unlikely that Artisan would release THE MONSTER SQUAD at this point, or if they do, spend any time to create a new widescreen master.

(whew)

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
This is just a thought, but since THE MONSTER SQUAD came out in '87, Universal has become even more strict about the trademarks they own for their monsters/physical appearances. Now, I know that the monsters in MONSTER SQUAD aren't the "Universal Monsters" per se, but they certainly look closer to the '30s Universal manifestations than, say, "Bram Stoker's Dracula" (where Gary Oldman looks nothing like Bela Lugosi!).

I may be totally wrong, but I've often wondered that the movie's lack of distribution on video over the years may have something to do with a license fee any studio would have to pay that releases it again, etc. Or, maybe this has nothing to do with it :)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
You can officially count Artisan out of "The Monster Squad."

In my talks with Ann Durante, assistant to Artisan Home Entertainment's president Steve Beeks, we briefly discussed the movie.

At one point, Artisan *did* own the rights to the movie but that has since expired and is no longer theirs.

Of course I totally forgot to follow up that question with "Do you have any idea who might own it now?" but I promise I'll try to soon.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Well, if Artisan had the rights to it, no doubt that it would be Pan-and-Scan and devoid of any extras... uh, just like Pacific Family Entertainment.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Mark, I must admit I'm somewhat relieved that it is no longer an Artisan title for the exact reasons you have stated.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
I had inquired about Monster Squad ages ago and just received this e-mail from PFE!

Pacific Family Entertainment (PFE) has released "The Monster Squad" and "Night of the Comet" on both DVD and VHS. They are in major stores nation wide. Because of contracts with PFE's marketing companies, the titles must be in retail outlets first.

Most retailers, including PFE will be selling these DVD's for $14.95 per title.

You may want to check the PFE web site for more information in the weeks to come.

Thank you for your interest in PFE.

Sincerely,

Tim Cook
Pacific Family Entertainment
Has anyone seen either of these titles in store!?!?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i'm still waiting to see a copy of THE POINT from PFE.

SvenS

Second Unit
Why the heck would you ever consider buying anything from a bootlegging lowlife company like PFE? Not only are they bootleggers but they put out the worse crap imaginable on DVD! If you buy from them you derserve the garbage you wil receive.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am curious how Monster Squad looks. Shows how bad PFE's reputation is that no one has purchased this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks