Monster Speaker Cable gauge?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin_Cas, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Kevin_Cas

Kevin_Cas Agent

Does anyone know what gauge this cable is(http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=783&scat=805) This is the type that they sell at best buys and circuit citys everywhere, but NOWHERE can I find what gauge it is, not even on the monster cable website! As sual, they give us all that psuedo-feature information(i.e. "Magnetic Flux Tube"), but not the most important rating!!?!?! I really need the white for my apartment, but I wan to be sure of what cable Im getting. Thanks. P.S. Is this cable any good(for a college student on a budget)?

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Sure, you can rely on this -- it's Monster's original XP, been around for years, in that nice Navaho White. Monster doesnt offer a spec sheet on all its products, so we do the spec'ing...This clearly isnt 12G and it isnt 16G, so it's in the 14-15 gauge range with that MagneticFlux tube inflating the sheathing size as well.

It typically sells for .65ft in short pieces; here you get .60ft for a spool.

3. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

It's ~15 gauge. If you strip it at 14 gauge you don't quite cut it perfectly, but if you strip it at 16 gauge you cut the outer wires. This wire is good enough for everyone, almost.

4. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

It's ~15 gauge. If you strip it at 14 gauge you don't quite cut it perfectly, but if you strip it at 16 gauge you cut the outer wires. This wire is good enough for everyone, almost.

5. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Its worthless. [​IMG] No, not the cable, the company. Any company that will not publish the specs for its products is trying to hide something. I would hate for someone ignorant to go buy this cable, wire to a decent 200WPC across +20' of cable length and start banging away until the sun comes up.
    In the speaker manufacturer is going to specify cable gauge for specific cable runs because the know the current needed to feed the speakers, I would think it wuold be equally important to know what gauge wire is being marketed to you to make that speaker connection.
    They should at least place some sort of liability limitations along with the marketing. And for a college student on a budget try some the the SoundKing (from PartsExpress or some of the stuff that Home Depot sells.