monster quick locks connectors!?!!?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulKH, Mar 2, 2002.

1. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

I can't figure out these connectors...

The speaker cable goes through the lower piece and the top piece with the banana connector screws onto the lower piece but nothing holds the cable in place so it just slides back out!?!?!?!

What am I missing? The very brief 'instructions' don't help.

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Strip the wire 1/4inch. Push the insulated part into the bottom piece (dont forget to have the colored sleeve already down the wire). Fray the exposed wire and bend back down over the bottom piece's threads. Then TWIST-TWIST-TWIST the two parts together. Not very elegant is it? Make sure you have NO EXPOSED WIRE STRANDS in the finished plug.

Some will strip 1/2inch and rather than bend them back, try to achieve a big ball of copper strands inside the top piece's pocket, enough so it doesnt pull out.

3. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Bill - maybe you're describing how to use the Twist Crimp type and not the newer Quick Lock ones?
    > Push the insulated part into the bottom piece (dont forget to have the colored sleeve already down the wire).
    Colored sleeve? They're all black except for a very small colored band around the top. And the black plastic part with the sleeve does not appear to come apart from the gold plated metal base at all.
    Also, 1/4" wouldn't even get the exposed wire out of the top of the bottom piece.
    > Fray the exposed wire and bend back down over the bottom piece's threads.
    The threads are on the INSIDE of the bottom piece, so not sure how to do this.
    It's a Rubik connector [​IMG]

4. Ken Smith

Ken Smith Stunt Coordinator

I've never heard of these, but maybe you can try monstercable.com for instructions or e-mail customer support for an answer.

5. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Thanks Ken. Their web site was worthless, but I did e-mail them.

6. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

I figured it out. Pretty strange.
    The bottom half has a 'chimney' like piece in the middle or an outer part with thread inside. The chimney has jagged 'teeth' around the top. It goes over the cable and you expose about 1/2" of wire.
    You then mash the top piece into the wire until you can screw it into the bottom half. In doing this the wire that was sticking out of the chimney is 'squashed' and goes over the edge of the jagged teeth holding it in place. Tighten the top and bottom pieces and voila.
    The instructions were worthless (to me at least).
    Cool connectors though [​IMG]