Monster Power

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael_Ra, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Michael_Ra

Michael_Ra Auditioning

Does anyone know if Monster's line of power conditioners are any good? They not only claim to protect your equipment from electrical surges, but they also claim to improve the performance for both video and audio. Does anyone have any experience with these products, epecially the HTS5100?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

If you have poor/dirty power a conditioner can make a difference. Bill Kane did a very nice thread on Budget Power Conditioners It's very informative about what to look for.

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Mike,
    After that, if you think you want a 10-outlet box that supports a satellite system as well as cabletv coax protection, and you have a lotof components including a separate amplifier, Monster 5100 certainly is very good for $549.99 (www.discountpanamax.com)
    Monster is very good at marketing to suggest that people have "dirty power" and their boxes will clean it up. Problem is, no one defines what "dirty power" means. Depends on where you live and the electrical system in your house.
    Monster and nearly ALL surge protector makes have AC (current) line filters for noise generated by RF/EMI (radio frequencies/electromagnetic interference). Monster tries to get an edge by styling its "Stage 2" to "Stage 4" and "Stage 5" but doesnt tell us exactly what that is. You pay for it, tho, going up their line!
    Edit: I am disappointed that Bob Mc overlooks my crusade not to regard a mere surge protector/suppressor as a "power conditioner" of which there are many for more $$$ but go far beyond the AC in-line filter I spoke of, such as these

4. Scott_AH

Scott_AH Stunt Coordinator

I actually work for a major retail chain where we are pushed towrads encouraging the sale of "Monster Clean Power" units in order to help our accessory sales. I never believed in what I was selling until I actually fell for it and took a $79.99 unit home and plugged it into my apartment's AC outlet and found that it really helped my situation. I'm a DirecTV subscriber and have never had a problem with the picture quality of its service but, as many know, an antenna is required to get local channels in areas where they are not provided; I.E. Spokane, WA. My antenna reception was, at best, "snowy" on most channels but when I introduced the Monster Power unit to my system I noticed a true improvement in my reception. My stations didn't become remarkably clear but the cascading lines of snow stopped altogether and my reception was stabilized. I didn't at first believe what I was seeing so I plugged my antenna back into the wall directly and then back into the Clean Power unit. The difference was staggering. Now, I won't claim to know what a Monster Power source would do for a great TV with a great video source but for my year- old 36" flat Toshiba with a local channel antenna, it was worth the money. Will a Clean Power unit help with a good cable service or an HDTV service, who knows? I only have my own experience to offer.