Monster power products - differences - help!?!?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Kolacz, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Dan Kolacz

Dan Kolacz Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

After realizing I have about $5000 tied up in my equipment, I decided I am going to buy a Monster surge supressor/conditioner.

I am considering Monster because a relative gets great prices on them.

The models I can purchase are:

HTS 2500

HTS 2600

HTS 3500

HTS 3600

HTS 5000

These range in price from lower to higher.

Any must-have features one of these has over the other one?

Why would one buy one over the other?

Anyone who owns one of these care to comment?

Thanks

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Patty: Does your budget allow you to look at the Monster HTPS-7000? If so, this is a balanced power unit that also provides all of the typical Monster type features. Bad part is that is costs over $1K and they are very hard to find.

3. Roger Kint

Roger Kint Stunt Coordinator

Is your relative a monster employee? Why not get the top of the line, because employee discounts are 80-90%!

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you don't have bad wiring in your house, or live in an area where lightning is a problem, I would say even the 2500 would be sufficient. Sorry, never been to Buffalo (Sabers are a good team though, too bad they traded Hasek) so I don't know how your weather is.

I just went through the same thing, and chose a Panamax 4300. I'm impressed with it so far.

5. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Patti,

I have a 2500 in my system and it works fine.

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Patti: if all you want is surge protection, the 2500 is fine. I have two Panamax 2000s(their cheapest HT units) and Panamax has already repaired on for free under their lifetime warranty. Still, if you can get me a new HTPS-7000 for a good price, PLEASE, send me an email! Thanks!

7. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Patti,

You might wish to do a search on this forum for "Monster surge" or similar. There've been quite a number of threads hashing out some similar ideas. You might find some worthwhile info buried in them.

What are you thinking you wish to accomplish with a Monster device? Surge protection? Power filtering? Correcting brown-outs? Giving us some idea of what you're after will help us give more definite suggestions.

And are you thinking primarily of Monster products or are open to exploring other brands?

Regards,

Mike

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    This is from another post that I just happened to be reading here (in the basics area):

9. Dan Kolacz

Mike wrote>>>>What are you thinking you wish to accomplish with a Monster device? Surge protection? Power filtering? Correcting brown-outs? Giving us some idea of what you're after will help us give more definite suggestions

To be honest with you, the main reason I want to get one is to move my current strip off the floor and get all my power cables in the rack to keep out of site.

I didn't even realize that these things could help audio/video quality until I started digging around on Monsters site. Now, whether or not I would notice the improvements is another thing.

The apartment I live in is a very old building. Like from the 60-70s. I do notice at times (not very often) the lights dim slightly and power seems to fluctuate when different appliances kick in.

But if these things can help regular old cable coming over coax, I would be interested in that as well.

10. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Patti, I responded in your Tweaks board thread. Or if you wish...here

11. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

The 2500 & 3500 are from their older line. The 2600 & 3600 have digital readouts compared to meters and have a newer(and improved, according to Monster)version of line conditioning.

DJ

12. Dan Kolacz

Thanks for the input Bill. The link is especially useful. Better than Monsters site!

I like to the looks of the older models better (all black) instead of the 2-tone scheme. I think the digital readouts would be a distraction as well.

I had heard someone, somewhere say that they considered the audio quality worse after using one of these units. I think it was the 3500 model

13. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

C'mon Patti, I'll go along with you, but we're not buying these beasts for their color-scheme [​IMG]
    We dont know how many A/V units your system will end up with: Satellite, Tivo, PS2 and Xbox, separate CD player or more. But both Monster 2500 and 2600 have 10 outlets.
    Monster keeps giving consumers more choices, and it gets aggravating after a while; but making decisions is what it's about.
    I hadn't looked at the 2600 before, but for $110 more retail than the 2500, you get 2960 Joule rating compared to 1,300 Joules, the ability of the unit to absorb surges before failing. Also the 2600 claims "Stage 2" filtering above the 2500 level. If this falls in your price range, why not get the newer, upgraded model.
    Some audiophiles (ok, I know that's a loaded term) claim some of these units rob (miniscule) current from their amps plugged into the units, and reduce quality of audio output at the speakers. I think this is at the high-end ear level for a few.

14. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

15. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

The 3600 is ,I believe, the first one in their line-up that is not current limiting . Also, monster does claim that they'll protect from a lightning strike.....I have had a customer who said that lightning struck his house while he was watching a dvd and his power went completely out, it took out his cordless phones and microwave AND his monster power center (which we replaced) but all his gear works just fine!!!!!

16. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

The 3600 looks pretty good, but may be overkill for Patti. Now we're at $399. At least the front LED has a dimmer!

17. John GP

John GP Auditioning

Hi Patty,

I have the Monster 2500 and it works great. I have the Sunfire Signature amp [email protected] and it doesn't seem to be limiting my power any, IMO. I got it online for $189. About two months ago I had lighting strike my house or very close to it, my son saw a white light come through our ceiling, everything shut down but all equipment is fine including the Monster. Hope this helps.