What's new

monster power line conditioners (1 Viewer)

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
Feb 4, 2002
I was wondering how expensive one of these do I need. All I have set up and pulling power right now is. Denon 3803 a dvd player, rptv, and hd box, plus xbox, and gamecube. I might over the future add a componet or two but nothing more that that. My powered sub uses a diffent outlet.


Bill Kane

Feb 5, 2001

If you're thinking about a SURGE PROTECTOR that also serves as a nice all-in-one-place power center, you can do well at no more than $100. Here's a short tutorial from the HTF ed Beginners Primer & FAQ (Basics Forum) CLICK You really want one that also carries F-Terminal screw posts to handle cabletv coax of satellite coax, depending on which you use. Subwoofer protection at the wall outlet can be achieved with a $38 two-outlet model from Panamax Max2.

Certainly the Monster Machine (and Best Buy type stores) wud love to get your business, but be advised that Monster isnt the king of the pile when it comes to these devices, just the biggest marketeer.


Leif Wall

Second Unit
May 4, 2000
I had a bad experience with Monster surge protectors. I believe I posted a thread about it, ahwhile back.

In a nutshell, I had 2 that failed within a week. That was enough for me.


Second Unit
Feb 21, 2002
Go with a Furman PM-8.

It's pro equipment, but it works well. Alot cheaper than the monster unit.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Jun 29, 2001
If you live in your own home then I'd recommend that you have an electrician install a 'whole house' suppression device. That's installed either at the circuit breakers or at the meter.
However, if that's not an option, then you'll have to install something that's going to protect everything in your HT setup. In other words, since the cable coming in goes to the TV, which may be connected to the receiver, it all needs to be protected.
Now if you're not also looking for some kind of power center also, that's going occupy a space in your rack and provide things like meters, switched, unswitched, delayed turn on, etc. features, then things get a lot simpler.
Most surge suppressors use MOV's (Metal Oxide Varistors) and they work on the principle of diverting an incoming surge to ground. Due to the nature of MOV's, they experience degradation as a function of the magnitude of the surge and the number of them. Hence, it's a good idea to get a surge protector with the largest 'Joule Rating'. This Joule rating is related to the robustness and size of the MOV being used. As the size of the MOV goes up, it's life expectancy increases exponentially. This all makes sense I think.
OK. So a search for a surge protection for your equipment should have as its priorities...
1) joule rating
2) sufficient outlets for your equipment
3) protection for your incoming cable.
A very good candidate that meets these requirements is one from a company called Stratitec. Since you're in Indianapolis, and we know 'that it don't rain in Indianapolis in the summertime', you've got several Sam's Clubs around you. They carry this model for under $20. I think you'll be hard pressed to find another unit with as many outlets and a 3050 joule rating. If you're not a member of Sam's Club, maybe you know someone who is. I don't recall if you can get a 'one day temporary' membership, but even at a nominal, say 10% or more markup, this is a bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Sign up for our newsletter

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Latest member
Recent bookmarks