Monster Power 5000/5100/7000 differences???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Eddie L, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Eddie L

Eddie L Stunt Coordinator

OK, I'm shoppin' and confused. A few hundered dollars between each, but is there any real advantages of one over the other? I mean just how much protection and stabilization does one need? I feel our power here is pretty clean and the only thing negative I can think of is that we do have quite a few outages, for whatever reason. I've notice a lot of you have the HTS 5000, and I should be satisfied with that, but then top of the line is...well, top of the line.
    Thanks,
    Ed

2. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

IMHO, I would look at the 5100. It's a lot nicer piece than the older "buzzing" 5000. Plus it has the cool display so you can see how much current your not using.

The 7000 a nice piece that includes Balanced Transformers for your source components. If you can afford to spend a couple hundred extra you can have that technology too.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Stablization...probably none. Virtually all main-stream components are adequately designed to deal with normal voltage fluctuations and even a bit of noise on the lines. Consider as your first, and possibly the only purchase you might need, something like the DBS series from Panamax or even less expensive, a Stratitec surge protector (under $20 at Sam's Club). Both have the capabilities of plugging all your equipment, including cable, into them and both offer EMI/RFI filtration if that's a concern. While you can certainly buy devices that do things like...
    1) balanced power
    2) isolation transformers
    3) AC waveform regeneration
    4) meters that tell you what you already now
    it's enormously speculative if your equipment would benefit from it with respect to you being able to discern an audible improvement. Point of use devices that incorporate surge protection and filtration are remarkably inexpensive to manufacture. More money most definitely doesn't buy you more or better protection but it does make Monster's accountants very happy. And those attached equipment warranties you read about...useless.

4. Eddie L

Eddie L Stunt Coordinator

Thanks again for your ideas Chu. Maybe I've been satisfied with my "living room" components these past 15+ years because of my Panamax protector. It sounds like if I just get another to use with my HT components I won't be sorry.
    Ed

5. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

And those attached equipment warranties you read about...useless

Just curious what do you base that statement off of?

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

ever read one from panamax or monster or anyone elses? i urge everyone to do so because it's cold comfort however if you want my reader's digest version of it, post back.

7. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

My experience with Monster Power products has been a real treat. A while back, I moved my HT gear to the lake. When I was hooking up the gear, I had a huge spark jump across the terminals and blew a fuse on my amp. I called Monster and asked if this could have had an effect on the HTS 5000. They sent me a Brand new 5100 and a PowerBar 1100 to replace the HTS1000 I used for my sub via 2nd day air. They asked me to send back the old products (HTS 5000 and HTS 1000) and they would have a look to see what the problem could have been. They offered to pay for any resulting damages due to spike being passed through their unit. I don't think you will get that level of service from just any company. Two thumbs up for Monster Powers Service.

Here is a similar story, It's seems to be consistent with my findings

$0.02

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

what was their reply?

9. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg

10. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

Chu
    I would like to hear it, having seen monster pay out numerous claims, I would love your take on it.

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Big difference between the 7000 and the other 2. The 7000, as mentioned, uses balanced power filtration. Which, indeed, is the basis behind balanced interconnects that you see on more expensive gear. All recording studios use balanced interconnects, and most now actually use balanced power too. Uses common mode noise rejection which compares the two halves of the 60 V to ground, and eliminates anything not on the other leg. Very effective and elegant means of noise reduction.

Now, while I would agree with some of the sentiment that you need to see if you'd get any benefit from it, I can attest that since I've gotten the Equitech 2Q that I have, I never have to "worry" about power quality again. [​IMG]

As far as the 5000 & 5100 go, I always thought this was an enlightening thread:

http://www.psaudio.com/articles/power_conditioners.asp

And if you are really interested in serious power conditioning, check out the reviews here:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/maste...ditioners.html