monster or AR dig coax?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by mike_snazzy, Dec 4, 2002.

1. mike_snazzy

mike_snazzy Extra

Just bought my first home theater system and need to get a dig coax cable to go from my panny rp82 to my marantz sr4300 and i wanted to know if you guys think it is worth it to buy a monster cable or can I get acoustic research for $25 less?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Because the signals are digital, they are very insensitive to the cable. An ordinary video cable is what they had in mind when they designed the SPDIF interface. I'd go with the cheaper cable. AR has a good reputation.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

if you're really super-bored get both and do some testing.
    i'll bet that you will NOT hear a difference. [​IMG]

4. Matthew_F

Matthew_F Stunt Coordinator

If your comparing to both of their top line cables. Acoustic Research's Master Series will win because even thou they are cheaper than Monster, they are higher rated.
    http://www.electronicsemall.com/index.html

5. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie

6. Michael Preyer

I just learned something interesting about Monster cable...

My son works at Best Buy so I decided to buy a whole new HT system while he has that excellent discount. The employee discount is based on Best Buy's cost plus a few percent. That means items with a huge markup give the appearance of having a huge employee discount. For example, the Toshiba 65" RPTV I bought at Best Buy normally sells for $2,999. My son's employee discount brought it down to $2,050. Essentially a grand off. That's a lot of mark-up!

Anyway, back to the cables...
    When I put together the shopping list of cables to go with my new system, I gave my son the part numbers for AR cables because I know they are excellent and that Monster is both over rated and over priced. However, when my son went to pick up the cables, the manager in that department said he might as well get Monster cables because the employee cost is nearly the same. For example, the normal Best Buy price for a 6-foot component video cable from AR is $29. A 6-foot component video cable from Monster is $59 - literally twice as much! However, the employee cost on the two different brands was only about $3 apart! That means the store cost is almost identical which means there's a HUGE mark-up on the Monster cable.

Monster apparently is able to force ALL of its retailers to apply that huge mark-up to make it look like Monster is so much better. Unfortunately, it works on far too many people who believe that if it costs twice as much, it must be twice as good. I've seen "audiophile" friends who I know are intelligent people and who normally exhibit decent common sense get suckered by that reasoning.

Well, I ended up getting all Monster cables for my system. Since I could get them for essentially the same price as the AR cables, I figured "what the heck!". Maybe I can impress one of my "audiophile" friends!

7. Rory

Rory Extra

Check out Blue Jeans Cable (bluejeanscable.com). Very good quality cables, fair prices and shipped quickly. You won't be sorry.