What's new

Monster Magnet - Any recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Miles

Second Unit
Hey,

I have the "Dopes to Infinity" CD by Monster Magnet and really like it. I was wondering which other Monster Magnet discs are worth listeging to?

Any recommendations?

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Hi Miles,

I have all of MMs CDs except the 25 Tab EP.

IMO Dopes is the absolute best! Their first album, Spine of God is a close second but a bit different than Dopes as it's a little on the lo-fi side. But it has some great stoner classics like the original version of "Medicine", "Ozium" and "Nod Scene." There second album, Super Judge, I didn't like as much, except I love the opening track "Cyclops Revolution." There next two albums, Power Trip and God Says No are hit and miss with a couple stand out tracks, "Heads Explode" and "Space Lord." But none of the albums are as consistently great as Dopes to Infinity and Spine of God.

There is a greatest hits album (import) that is worth having. No S.O.G. tracks bit it has some B-Sides and comes with an enhanced CD that has all the bands music videos. They should have a new album out soon, however I don't think they have a US record deal at the moment so you might have to find it as an import.

Finally, make sure you get the "Explicit" versions of their albums and not the "Edited" versions.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
The only cd I have of them is Powertrip and I only like a few songs on it...Space Lord and Goliath and the Vampires.

I usually go for stuff like this but Powertrip is a disappointment to me.

Is Dopes To Infinity much better?

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Dopes to Infinity is Monster Magnet's sole masterpiece. It's their Sgt. Pepper (Spine of God is their Revolver).

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Larry, SuperJudge Kicks ASSS!!!, I have them all also. I will say that unless you like 45 minutes of un-interrupted psychodelic rock, Tab25 is one to pass on. It had its place in my early years, but I don't uhem.. partake.. anymore. :frowning:

Dopes is a classic, and I even like Powertrip. And Space Lord is not the best song on Powertrip at all, See you in hell is awesome.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I cannot recommend the Tab25 EP highly enough. It is as "psychedelic" as modern rock gets. The disc came out -- when? -- in 1992? '93? Extraordinarily good.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I'll give Super Judge another listen this weekend. I LOVED the first track, Cyclops Revolution, but the rest of the album kind of fell flat on my ears. I can’t remember any of the other songs. Mind you I got it after I bought Dopes and Spine, so my expectations were high.

Dopes was such a great album that I went up to see them at a tiny club in East Vancouver, BC. It wasn't so much a club as a biker bar. The crowd was pretty scary, or maybe I'm a pussy, but it didn't matter because the show was so great I didn't think about the drunken Hell's Angels standing behind me. (The hash helped). I also bought it again up there for the bonus track.

Dopes is SOOOOOOO great that the rest pale in comparison, to me. The reason I think Dopes is so great is because it shares in common with some of my other faovirte albums of that period, variety. Dopes to Infinity, like Ween's Chocolate & Cheese and Beck's Mellow Gold, is great because they sound like great mix tapes. Each song is different than the last. Each song seems like a different genre. The rest of Monster Magnet's oeuvre, excluding Spine of God and Tab, though they may be good, lack the variety of Dopes. I can barely tell one Power Trip song from another, God Says No only had two memorable songs (for me); Heads Explode, which i had had the single for a year before the album came out, and Medicine, which was a remake of a song from Spine of God.

To me, all of MM's releases are worth listening to. If you are interested in getting God Says No & Powertrip, try to go for the import versions. Altho more expensive new, they are out there much cheaper than the regular versions. I also hear that Tab & Spine of God will be remastered and have add'l tracks added.

And all you other thousands of MM fans, be sure to be in line on March 2nd for the new release "Monolithic Baby".

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
i really do love stoner metal, but their single that got big (spacelord) really turned me off to monster magnet, i guess ill hve to give them another shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks