What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sony’s 4K UHD Blu-ray release of Writer-Director Paul W.S. Anderson’s latest video game movie adaptation Monster Hunter is a definite feast for the eyes and ears.

Monster Hunter (2020)

Released: 18 Dec 2020
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 103 min

Director: Paul W.S. Anderson
Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy

Cast: Milla Jovovich, Tony Jaa, Ron Perlman, T.I.
Writer(s): Paul W.S. Anderson, Kaname Fujioka (video game series)

Plot: When Lt. Artemis and her loyal soldiers are transported to a new world, they engage in a desperate battle for survival against enormous enemies with incredible powers. Feature film based on the video game by Capcom.

IMDB rating: 5.3
MetaScore: 45

Disc Information

Studio: Sony
Distributed By:...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Gee whiz, no comments on your review. You checked of the boxes I like: 1) Actions scenes 2) With BIG monsters 3) Great image on a 4K disc and 3) An enveloping atmos track. Gotta get the disc!

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Waiting patiently for the 3D !!! No reason to watch it any other way...IMHO:thumbsup:
You might not know, but my 3D led tv went into the bedroom to make room for my new 77” LG OLED C1. I still love 3D but WOW! This movie was a fantastic visual and aural greet. It’s certainly not a great movie, but in it’s category of action, adventure, big fucking monsters, it’s very good. It’s a multiple watcher.

I wonder if it did well enough to justify the sequel it set itself up for?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
You might not know, but my 3D led tv went into the bedroom to make room for my new 77” LG OLED C1. I still love 3D but WOW! This movie was a fantastic visual and aural greet. It’s certainly not a great movie, but in it’s category of action, adventure, big fucking monsters, it’s very good. It’s a multiple watcher.

I wonder if it did well enough to justify the sequel it set itself up for?
I don't think so, as it was released theatrically at the height of the theater closures, if I recall.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It didn't do very well, but on the other hand the budget was a relatively low $60 million, which surprised me as I thought it looked like a $100 million film, minimum. They also didn't spend much to promote the film at the time. If they can keep the budget in line and have a less limited release, maybe they'd give it another go.

It also ran into some controversy in China for some dialogue, so it's release was cut short there when it was pulled from theaters.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It didn't do very well, but on the other hand the budget was a relatively low $60 million, which surprised me as I thought it looked like a $100 million film, minimum. They also didn't spend much to promote the film at the time. If they can keep the budget in line and have a less limited release, maybe they'd give it another go.

It also ran into some controversy in China for some dialogue, so it's release was cut short there when it was pulled from theaters.
I just watched it and I didn’t notice dialaogue that would offend china.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It's discussed in the Wikipedia entry for the film.
I just read that and I presume the line is omitted from the disc. Had it been in, I might still not have noticed as I’m usually not on the guard for stuff like that. Ok, the line was mean to emphasize he’s Chinese, but Hunter is a native of the other world, are the countries like China and the USA there?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.