Monster HTS5100

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Andrews, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Scott Andrews

I just purchased a Monster Power conditioner HTS5100 from my local HiFi Place. I checked out the box and when I got it home I opened it and to my dismay it had been used. It clearly came from monster that way. I really just wanted good power protection and a way of hooking up my B&K Ref 20 so that I can use my Pronto for all of my products. Right now I have a repeater system but I always have to manually turn on my Panamax to get things up and running. So my question is- Is this a good purchase? I have seen more negative than positive on these products. I had planned to just swap it out and go forward. I need some REAL advice. I realize $699.00 is a lot to spend but I have a lot of gear and I want real protection with remote on/off capability.

2. Jeff_LIII

Jeff_LIII Auditioning

Scott, I can't tell you what to do but if you're interested I have an HTPS7000 brand new for $800. This would be a definite step up for only another $100.

3. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

i would recommend B-P-T instead (balanced power technologies). they are cheaper than ps audio or richard gray. i got mine modded by Alan Maher and it works wonders
    http://www.b-p-t.com/
    happy listening

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Scott, I'm not certain if you are getting buyer's remorse, or just ranting because it appears they sent you a "used" unit. But I see here that you are (a) being upsold and (b) being switched to a power line conditioner, which you did not say that you want.
    Balanced Power (the b-p-t) is a noise floor and hum improvement device and well-regarded for this purpose. The Monster HTPS7000 serves this function with surge suppression and power center features to boot.
    However, I will add my own "switch" recommendation for the Adcom ACE-615 that sells in the $300-plus range and may meet the needs you describe.
    First, the Adcom uses the Series Mode surge suppression technology developed by ZeroSurge and also marketed by Brickwall.com. It shunts surges but does not dump them to ground via sacrificial MOVs (designed to fail under multiple hits) as most Panamax and Monster units use. This is particularly attractive for those living in parts of the country who are exposed to electrical/lightning storm weather. It meets the highest federal certification standards for U.L. 1449 Listing for 6000-volt, 3000 amps per surge times 1000 surges.
    The Adcom unit Here's the Owners Manualoffers 8 plug-ins including two for amps, one cabletv and one Satellite set of F-connector coax protection circuits, plus remote 12V trigger turn-on that may work with your Pronto system. As I see this, the B&K Ref 20 can be connected via a 12V trigger signal sent to the Adcom; likely from using a RadioShack 500mV wall-wart ($12) plugged into the B&K switched outlet.
    Adcom has a variety of switched/unswitched outlets and delayed turn-on feature to power up/off components and amplifiers in sequence to avoid any speaker "thumps."
    I do not own this unit, but I like its features, especially for the moderate cost when we're looking at a one-unit-fits-all device. There is no end when one starts to add "power conditioners" to the mix.
    This unit and nearly all surge suppressors incorporate an AC noise filter for RF/EMI interference.
    ...let us know what you decide[​IMG]
    bill

5. Scott Andrews

Thanks to all of you for your great advice! I will stick with the Monster for now. The HiFi Place I got it from was all too happy to swap it out with a new one. I have 30 days to see how I like it. Bill, your advice was wonderful! Thanks Jeffry for the lead. I will keep you in mind Jeff if my Monster does not work out. I just had a nasty thunderstorm came through about an hour ago and I really want to get REAL protection for my equipment. The Panamax 1000+ just does not cut it for me. I will post some photos of my Theater soon. I had it designed and I built it myself. I manage a Home Depot and my theater is my refuge.
    Thanks again! [​IMG]

6. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Scott, you have twice used the term "REAL protection."
    I suggest you read about Series Mode as the most (non-direct strike) lightning protection available to home consumers. Besides the Adcom website, again www.brickwall.com expounds their glowing testimonials; but it's heads above standard Monster/Panamax MOV style boxes. I'm not saying the latter boxes and the HTS5100 wont work as advertised, just that they'll "work" and be "dead" ...then one goes thru the insurance/warrantee replacement dance, compared to these other units I am talking up...
    If you have everything on one dedicated circuit, I have yet another Series Mode wall mounting box at $219 to recommend!
    bill

7. Scott Andrews

Thanks Bill- Man, you know your Surge, Line, Power Protection. I will most definitely look into the sites you wrote about. I love this forum! Many thanks to you. Isn't it great where folks can get together to share information to better the Home Theater lifestyle.
    Thanks Again!
    Scott