Monster HTS-2000 - Power & Surge Protector

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dave H, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

What does your setup consist off? For the extra $50 I'd get this one.

[​IMG]

Kevin

3. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Do a search for the item in yahoo's shopping area, you can get them for not much more than half of what best buy sells them for. I got the reverence version of the one at best buy for around $80 a few months ago. Here it is for $93ish...you can always find this type of stuff cheaper elsewhere. When I worked at best buy back in my college days home audio stuff generally has a 50% or more markeup, especially accessories.
    http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...00&svbname=425

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    www.powersystemsdirect.com sells both Monster and Panamax at pretty decent prices. NEVER buy something like this at BB/CC/GG unless it is on sale.

When I bought my Panamax units (5100, 4300, sub2), I was hoping to notice an improvement in audio, but it was very minimal. I DID notice an improvement in video that I did not expect though, go figure.

5. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Yes, I bought the HTS2000 online for about half of what Tweeter wanted for it.

Mostly, it was for the convenience of getting 12 outlets all together. I tend to shun Monster products, but all those outlets *almost* covered all my needs.

6. Dave H

Dave H Producer

My set-up consists of a 57" Tv, dvd player, and receiver, and powered sub woofer. (HDTV cable box soon too).

So, should I stick with Monster?

On another forum, someone was saying these kind of products can actually add noise.

7. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Never had a problem with my Monster units adding noise. If it does then it must be defective and it should be returned. For your setup the powerbars mentioned should be more than enough. Just take a printed copy of the cheapest internet price you can find into your local BB/CC and have them price match. Less hassle if something goes wrong.

Kevin

8. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I just purchased the Monster HTS 2000.

I have a couple of questions.

1. It gets warm. Is this normal? My previous surge protector which I paid like $10.00 for never got warm.
    As a result, is it ok that cords and speaker wire are touching it?

2. My powered sub woofer needs an outlet and I was going to use the "amp" outlet on the it. Is this ok? I don't see any other outlets that match. (Every outlet on it is supposedly designed for each specific item.)

In all honesty, I see no picture quality difference. I haven't done comparisons with audio. I ended up getting this on sale at Circuit City. I'm wondering if I should just return it.

I find all of this "power" stuff confusing and a lot of contradictory info. out there. It seems there is no clear answer to whether this "power conditioning" is just a market scam or legitimate. There seems to be no agreement as to how many joules are even needed for a set-up like mine.

Thanks.

9. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Answers.

1. Yes but it shouldn't be too hot that you can't touch.

2. Plugging it into the amp socket should be fine, since it won't limit current.

As far as video quality your more than likey to see a difference in quality when watching a DVD rather than TV. Trying watching an animated or CGI DVD will demoing. You may notice a more stable picture. Stick with the unit even if you don't see a PQ improvement as you still get surge protection.

Kevin

10. T r o y

T r o y Supporting Actor

Currently I have one of the really cheap surge protectors that connect directly to the outlet itself that I bought at Home Depot for like $10.00. This is what my CRT projector is hooked to for protection ... Yikes [​IMG]

I want to give my projector more protection, obviously, by upgrading to a much better surge protector w/ line conditioning this next time.

Nothing else will be connected to the protector other than the CRT. Please give me suggestions on models that I can choose from and ones that you have been happy with.

My price range will be from $150 - $ 200.

Thanks for your help!
    Troy

11. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Hey Kevin,

I've decided to keep it. The more I have read about it, the more positive things I hear.

Really it only gets slightly warm --- I may have overstated it previously.

One more question....

I was told that I shouldn't have my 57" TV, DVD player, receiver, power subwoofer and cable box hooked up to the same outlet (through the power surge protecter). I was told I am "pushing it." Should I separate some items and plug them into a different outlet?

12. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I wouldn't worry too much, at most you should be pulling 4-5A from the socket. I have my 47", DVD, 56TXi, NAD S250(5x125W) amp, Monster HTPS7000 hooked upto an AVS2000 with the AVS and sub plugged into the same socket. The AVS shows a power draw of 3A max with everything but the sub hooked to it when watching a movie.

Kevin

13. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Do you have your own home Troy?

14. T r o y

T r o y Supporting Actor

Chu,

Yes, I do have my own home. My projector is on it's own 15 amp breaker and all of my other rack equipment is on it's own 15 amp breaker.

I am thinking of going with the Panamax 4300 to protect my NEC front projector. What do you think of this ?

Thanks.

15. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Troy,

Chu Gai is going to recommend you get a whole house surge protector before you waste your money on individual units. Maybe worth the look.

Kevin

16. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Kevin is psychic! I've got a thread over in the Tweaks section. Give it a look.