What's new

Monster HTPS7000 and M2.2 question (1 Viewer)

Tim L

Second Unit
First off I know alot of people feel Monster is no good because it is way overpriced- so I want to get out of the way that I am able to get a pretty good deal on price for some Monster products- so with that I was curious if anyojne owns or has had some experience with the HTPS700 or HTS5100 power/Line conditioners and also Monsters M2.2 cable line. If so, good or bad? Any opinions? any input greatly appreciated, thanks
Tim

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Tim, I have the Monster HTS5100 & noticed a huge improvement it interference problems ( Noise ) coming through my lines. I don't think they go as far as to actually improve anything beyond that like Monster claims, but I am pretty happy with mine. Monster products a very over priced if you ask me. At retail I would find myself buying something else most likely but I get Monster stuff at 60% off retail through my job, so its a pretty good deal at those prices.

PS. Before anyone asks I cant get & resale these products at these prices, I could lose my job for it. It is a accommodation price directly through Monster & our purchases are limited to a certain amount per year. We have to sign a statement saying we will not resale the products for a period of one year after purchase.
If I could without getting in trouble I would no problem but unfortunately I cant.

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
:wink: How about you just give it to me as a gift then?

Sorry, could not resist!

As for the Monster Power Products, they do seem to perform well, though they are definitely overpriced IMHO. At 60% off, now that would be a different story.

Tim L

Second Unit
Joe, same monster here for me- thats why I'm going for it- just wanted some feedback on some products before I actually make a decision on the products-any other info out there in home theater land?
Tim

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
The 7000 is an entirely new beast. THe balanced AC is remarkable and drops the noise floor to an "audiophile" level of performance.
There can always be debate about Monster's cables. However, in regards to their power product, it's hard to say that they are even REMOTELY near the expensive end.
Example: Isolation transformers are usually only found on $800 PCs or higher, but the $599 HTS5000 was one unit that had them on their analog and digital outlets.

The 7000 is a good example of a piece that nothing else compares to in the same price range. Course, there simply isn't enough products out there to compare the 7000 to. WSR did a comparison between the 7000 and a unit that costs $3k plus.
In the power conditioning market, it's entirely possible that it's too difficult to compete with Monster's manufacturing capabilities and offer a competetively priced product with the same features.

Now that I've gone to a 7000 Signature, it's hard for me to even consider a 5100. It's really THAT good.

I also respect the performance of the M2.2 and 2.4 - very good at that price point. You're really measuring them up to some of the more expensive brands out there - a place that Monster doesn't quite compete in except for their sigma line. I have yet to hear any cable around $500 that sounded as good as the M2.2 and M2.4

Elbert

Tim L

Second Unit
Elbert thanks for the response- I'll have to try and track down that review on the 7000-so far it looks like a solid unit, thanks again
Tim

John H

Second Unit
THe balanced AC is remarkable and drops the noise floor to an "audiophile" level of performance.
I would like to point out that not all the outlets on the 7000 supply balanced AC power. I was informed by Monster and have read that only the Audio Filter and Digital Filter banks supply this. The Video Filter and High Power outlets do not.

I own both the 7000 and the 5100. The 5100 has been working flawlessly since I purchased it a year ago. I am on my third 7000.

Six months after purchase of my first unit all the indicators under the display went out and all the AC outlets went dead. The unit would power up and down and the indicators to the left of the display showed the outlets to be working. Monster replaced the unit in 3 days.

A week later my second units display malfunctioned. When it would power down instead of reading "STANDBY" it would display EEEE " " ZZ. I was told by Monster tech that the unit does not display diagnostic codes and it was a display malfunction.

I am now on my 3rd unit and it does the same when the display is dimmed to it's lowest position. I can rectify the problem if I put it in the middle position.

I will keep the unit and wait until something major goes wrong before I have Monster replace it.

I have posted in another thread...
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=123973

One member (Bill_D Post #11) said his 7000 failed exactly like my first unit.

Another member (Javi Post #16) reported he went through four 7000 units.

While the 7000 went back this last time I immediately installed my Panamax 5300 in it's place. I could hear and see no difference.

Your results may be different.

John

Tim L

Second Unit
wow John,I hope I have better luck, I already ordered the 7000 and the 5100(today as a matter of fact)- maybe I should have gotten two 5100's instead? I am saving alot -but I still don't want the damn thing to die 3-4 times. It figures, I get up the nerve to make a big purchase- and get the wife acceptance and the unit sounds like a flunky! I love home theater- but my luck with equipment has been spotty- have to find a cheaper hobby, thanks for the replies- any more info keep it coming
Tim

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
Been out of town! Yes - I did not mention that there are only 6 balanced outlets on the 7000. I know that Monster has addressed the QC issue in January and current units are much better. I have 3 of the new 7000 signatures and they are all ok and, in addition to a new power cord and GFI circuits, it allows the user to completely dim the display.
Elbert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks