Monster House HT House

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Eric R C, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Eric R C

Eric R C Agent

Did anyone see Monster House Monday 7/14? The assignment was to build a golden age of Hollywood theater.

2. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

I have it on my DishPlayer right now. Gotta wait for my wife to get back into town. We are loving Monster House, especially last weeks ep where the guy lied about being an electrician and caused them to miss the original Friday night midnight deadline.

3. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

My buddy got me addicted to Discovery's whole Monday night line up, Monster House, Monster Garage, and American Chopper. I just really enjoy the creativity shown on all three shows.

That HT/Golden Age House crew was the worst yet, just like Steve said. I am amazed they got it all done actually. But I did like what they did with everything, it really did have that "yesterday Hollywood" feel to it.

And last week's with the electrician that wasn't an electritian was hilarious. His excuses to Steve were hilarious.[​IMG] "I mean, it's just been awhile since I did this, so it might take me a while, to uh, pick it back up."
    Puhleeze....

4. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

I just started watching Monster House, this show is really underrated. It's good having a new crew each week, keeps the show fresh. Someone from HTF should try to sign up and have the ultimate HT house built. [​IMG]

5. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

I'm enjoying this show as well. Last week's show was a real hoot between the extent of the work and the loser pseudo-electrician. What do you bet they upped their screening process after that?

There were some nice things done this week, but there were a few head scratchers. For example, why wasn't the master curtain on a powered rod? I couldn't believe it when I saw Steve manually open the curtain. Maybe the powered rod didn't arrive in time? I also have to wonder about the sound system in the theater they built. As I didn't see them build any speaker boxes for inwalls, I'm guessing the speakers were little cube satellites? They needed an SVS in there!

-greg

6. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

I have to wonder what the real timeline for the show is, working in commercial construction I have a hard time believing that they get so much finish work done from Friday night to late afternoon Saturday, even with the set design people they use. Also, I often see them cut into an interior wall to install a window or whatever and there are diagonal pieces of wood visible, these are cross braces and essential to the structure of a house, especially in earthquake country. Hopefuly they deal with this using a structural engineer to analyze and recommend reinforcement elsewhere and just don't show it for brevity but you never know.

They could make a pretty intersting behind the scenes show about Monster House. Maybe the Reality TV Network will actually happen and they can show behind the scenes for all these shows.

7. Eric R C

Eric R C Agent

They did not specify the components for this HT much to my chagrin. I would of loved to see them actually spend more time installing the HT. Oh well. I wish Steve would of knocked that old man on his ass. Those old curmudgeons are fun to watch but i would never be able to work with them. Still this is an interesting show. I think next week is a repeat of the Race Car house.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i think i have this on tivo, so i'll have to check it out.

i always wonder with shows like this - do they actually follow code and stuff? i always get the sense that these guys are a bunch of hacks.

i definitely would NOT let them do anything in my house - as cool as it would seem.

9. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

Ted,

They do follow building codes and what not. I have heard Steve say on several shows that everything has to be well built and up to code, and they replaced some faulty wiring on Monday's episode to get it up to code.

Plus I am sure TDC could get in deep trouble legally if they built something that wasn't up to code, and then aired it nationally. If there was an accident b/c of said something not up to code, whoohoo what a lawsuit.

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

good to know ryan. okay...mebbe i'd let them build me a custom ht then. [​IMG]

11. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Maybe I've been reading too much A/V Interiors but I was underwhelmed at the final product. With all those profesesionals and talents I was expecting something that would blow my mind. Only cool thing was the AV rack in the ticket booth.

I guess for the real deal you'd have to call in experienced HT experts. IIRC they had to get another crew to come in and install all the HT gear properly. [​IMG] But then again the experienced HT installers take more than a few days.

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

pretty good episode. lots of drama among the crew. although it isn't conducive (sp?) to an efficient crew, it sure makes for great tv.

while i respect the older guy's tenacity for detail, i can certainly see how it would drive everyone else crazy. and what was up with that one guy breaking down and crying - i actually felt kinda bad for the guy. the gal was rendered useless - they didn't even give her a chance.

the place itself looked pretty nice, but i always wonder how it looks upclose.

i thought the owners were somewhat underwhelmed?

13. Eric R C

Eric R C Agent

Is tonights episode going to be a repeat?

14. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

I believe so. It's the racecar house ep. I haven't seen it, it's new to me[​IMG] , but I think it's a repeat.

15. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

They finally did the house I thought would make for a good episode, Magic House. It turned out alright but they just did yet another patio remodel. Seems like more and more homes are just getting backyards redone instead of a true Monster House makeover to a couple of rooms.

Still excellent series and I'm glad that we are still getting new episodes.

16. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I used to watch MH all the time and then it suddenly became a bunch of reruns. I haven't seen a new episode for some time. For me the show has been sliding downhill somewhat from earlier episodes.

When is it on nowdays anyway?

17. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Friday Nights at 8/7c. The last episode looks like it was the last new episode until August 12, according to their website. Next ep is Firefighter House. I wish Discovery could pick a night for their shows and stay with it.

18. Justin Bauer

Justin Bauer Supporting Actor

I was a huge fan of this show a year ago and then got tired of watching all the same reruns. I need to pick it back up and get into it again.

I just remember that Ocean themed house they built. I will never forget the looks of disappoinment on those kids faces when they thought they were going to get a wave pool or something and all they got was a fish aquarium. Priceless. Even the parents were disappointed.

19. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

20. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Well the final Monster House aired. Sad to see it go, they had some interesting stuff. Not always practical, not always pleasing, not always good, but usually always entertaining.

Monster House: DONE