monster filter -does it really work? also quick wire question...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zack_b, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Zack_b

Zack_b Extra

hey all,

just a couple of quick questions from a noobie. i live in an apartment and have an entry-mid level HT. i am in need of new surge protectors and i was wondering if the monsters that have a built in filter make any diff. at all. anyone notice? also if there is is there a big difference between filter tech. 1 and 2 from them? also my last question: i recently bought some monster XP to rewire my system but upon stripping it noticed this white (plastic???) core. is this plastic????wouldnt solid copper or whatever be a lot better?i dunno, just thought that was kinda cheap looking....anyways thanks for the help everyone!

zack

2. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I recently picked up a Monster HT800 surge protector from Ebay for $40 bucks (retails at $99) and it did improve the picture on my TV.

I was getting white dots from my previous cheap surge protector all of a sudden back in December. Whe I moved the surge protector around the white dots would change shape.

The Monster has returned my blacks to black, no white dots.

JohnG

3. John H

John H Second Unit

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

5. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

"Filters" such as Monster, API, Adcom, Panamax, etc., can actually *add* distortion to your AC power.

I've seen this statmenet so many times, but would like for someone to elaborate, how it adds distortion. I hate it when they say that and just stop.

6. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I tested my line with and without a Monster HTS-2000 in my movie room. It reduced the noise dramatically--I would estimate around 90%.

Kevin, no offense, but what do you think PS Audio is going to say about it's competition? I'm sure they are great units, but with the cheapest one at $1000, I think we would all expect them to be better than the straight filters(not voltage regulators)in the $100-$200 range.

DJ

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I guess the graph they generated doesn't count for anything... [​IMG]
    PS Audio has nothing to gain in terms of trashing Monster. Different league (and price range) of power "conditioning." I.e., a person looking to spend a couple of hundred bucks on a Monster isn't going to all of the sudden switch gears and spend over a thousand for a PS Audio unit.
    Actually, what they see is typical of *any* kind of electronic filtration. You don't get something for nothing.
    Read the reviews on Secret's. Become enlightened.
    Just because Monster is good at marketing, doesn't mean you get great performance from their gear.
    My opinion only. I can only present the info.
    BTW, I do not own a PS Audio unit. I went with balanced power.

8. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter