Monster DVI Cables--Worth It?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Mike:K, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Mike:K

Mike:K Auditioning

Hello everyone,

I've searched these forums but still can't seem to find a clear answer. Do all DVI cables hooking into a HDTV system perform the same? In other words, if I got DVI Monster cables (or any other supposed high quality cables), do they perform better, or look better, than standard DVI cables that one might hook up their LCD HDTV TV's?

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    With Monster, you're paying a LOT for the name.
    I'd go to Best Buy and get AR (Acoustic Research). They are very good cables, for a lot less money. I'd choose Radio Shack's over Monster..........

3. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

Hi Mike,
    A friend of mine recently bought a 42" Sony LCD tv. At my request, He hooked up his HDTV cable box to it using the same type of DVI cable he also uses to connect his computer moniter, and paid about 50$ for it. It looks great to both of us. When I told him about how much the monster DVI cables where, he made his decision rather quickly to buy them from the computer store. Hope this answers your question. [​IMG]

4. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

So Marty, you're saying you don't know, since you didn't directly compare them, right?

"Mainstream" Monster cables are a lot better in build than the cheapie AR or Radio Shack cables I've seen. Not to mention no interference.

5. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

How long of a cable do you need? If it's short, there should be no difference between your average, non-defective DVI cable, and your $$$$ brands. For longer runs, there is a difference.

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Too bad neither of them have a DVI cable. For local retailer stuff, Monster is the only game in town.

7. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Check out your local computer stores (franchise and mom&pop). They should carry DVI-D cables. I got a 5 meter DVI-D Dual Link with techflex sleeve for $30 (not sure the brand) at a local mom&pop store. I see no PQ difference compared to the 3m Monster I had that I returned to BestBuy later that day.

For the small price difference between single-link and dual-link I would go w/ the dual because it supports resolutions up to 2048 x 1536p. Single link is limited to 1920x1080i and 1280x720p. The added bandwidth of Dual-Link will also allow you to go longer runs with resolutions within the single-link spec.

Hope this helps [​IMG]