Monster Component Video Cables Question?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StevenF, Oct 5, 2002.

1. StevenF

StevenF Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone tell me if there is a noticeable difference in the picture quality between these 3 cables? I was thinking about buying higher end cables and wanted an opinion of someone who has maybe tried all three of them.

1. Monster Video 1 Component Video Cable ($30.00)
    2. Monster Video® 2 Component Video Cable ($60.00)
    3. Monster Video® 3 High-Resolution Component Video Cable ($90.00)

One other question. Is there a real huge noticeable difference between S-Video and Component video or is it mostly hype?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Steven. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]
    Unless you have a fairly 'sensitive' system, I doubt you would see any difference.
    Is there a difference? Yes. But let me tell you a little fact:
    No cable can improve your video signal!
    With all the cable hype, people tend to forget that a cable can only degrade/harm the signal.
    Unless you are experienced, the differences in the 3 cables are likely so subtile, you or I would not notice anything.
    But your system might be sensitive enought that the cable does make a visible difference. By 'sensitive' I mean:
    • Display sizes greater than about 40 inches.
    • Pushing Progressive or HD video instead of ordinary component video.
    • The television is a HD/HD ready unit that will do lots of processing to the signals before displaying it.
    When you hit some of these, the cable COULD make a visible difference.
    For modest systems, the AR brand, Radio Shack or lower-end Monster cables all work great. When your system becomes 'sensitive' is when I recommend a cable that is designed NOT for component video, but HD/Progressive signals.
    While Monster is decent, you are paying for a lot of over-head. There are small web sites that buy production studio grade coax & connectors and sell cables for less, but give outstanding quality.
    Here is a thread about Good places to buy cables on line that lists some of the sites that sell custom length cables.
    Good Luck.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

opps. forgot this one.

4. StevenF

StevenF Stunt Coordinator

I guess then for my system, you would then recommend buying these cables?

3. Monster Video® 3 High-Resolution Component Video Cable ($90.00)

Because I am running:
    1. 55 inch Mitsubishi 1080i HDTV
    2. JVC XV-S500BK Region-Free Progressive Scan DVD player

Would you recommend it then? Or go with the Monster 1 or 2? I know that I can definetly see a big diff between Composite and S-video.

5. ArtG

ArtG Extra

It has been pointed out that with Monster Cable, you're paying for their advertising.

However, there may be more to the story than that. If you've ever actually visited MC (I have) there are trucks getting loaded almost as far as the eye can see. OK, I'm exaggerating a little, but it's obvious they move HUGE amounts of cable.

So a lot of advertising by Monster could be less expensive per cable than a little advertising by a smaller cable house.

I'm not saying they are or are not overpriced. Just that I wouldn't assume you're paying a lot for advertising.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Yes, for that system my advice would be to buy the Monster 3 or a Canare cable from one of the web sites.
    From WWW.goodguys.com: (no shipping or tax [​IMG] )
    Monster Video 3:
    1 M - $70
    2 M - $90
    4 M - $120
    Monster Z300:
    1 M - $120
    2 M - $200
    4 M - $230
    www.heartlandcables.com: (Canare plugs & coax)
    1 M - $45
    2 M - $54
    4 M - $72
    www.wickedcables.com: (Canare plugs & coax)
    1 M - $60
    2 M - $70
    4 M - $90
    IMHO the custom web sites offer cables similar to the Z300, but for less than the Video 3 prices.
    And for the exotic cables (silver) -
    Monster M1000cv:
    1 M - $125
    2 M - $200
    3 M - $250
    www.bettercables.com: (Silver Serpent)
    1 M - $100
    2 M - $120
    3 M - $140
    So if money was tight, I'd go for the Heartland/Wicked offering. But if I thought my system deserved it, I'd go to bettercables. It's $30 more than the Monster Video 3 - about the price of 2 DVD's.
    Good luck and let us know what you decide.