monster component cables

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Alton.M, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Alton.M

Alton.M Agent

I'm about to get some monster component cables, but can't decide which set to get, the monster 2 or monster 3. please let me know the difference between the two. If you have any other suggestions, feel free to give them.

2. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Personally i would save my money and get some Acoustic research cables, monster cables are good, but vastly overpriced.

3. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

I assume you are talking about the regular AR cables, not the Master's Series.
    The Monster Video 2's may be significantly more than the standard AR's, but they are a good cable. I am using the Video 2's and they are great.
    As far as I know, the 'Video 3' has a better shielding to completely block out RF, and a higher bandwidth. for what its worth, apparently the ISF calls Monster Video 3 "absolutely necessary for good pictures in home theatre." [​IMG]

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Moved to connections

5. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

There are also a host of online cable retailers that would be worth checking out as well. There's about a good 50% markup on Monster stuff, and salespeople at stores tend to push the extremely higher end Monster cables on you. Here are some online retailers that I and several other people on this forum have been happy with:

www.heartlandcables.com (used them personally and highly recommend)
    www.bluejeanscable.com
    www.rhinocables.com (I think they may have a new homepage though)
    www.bettercables.com (little pricey, but build some pretty good stuff, especially if you were going to spend that much money on Monster $tuff anyway)

I'm sure others will chime in on some that I have missed. If you're more of a bricks & mortar fella, definitely worth checking out the AR cables, or, heck, even Radio Shack cables. Monster makes a decent product, but $100+ decent for their Video 3, 3M cable??? Hell and No!

6. Paul Pratt

Paul Pratt Stunt Coordinator

Paul Pratt
    The monster 3's have a gas injected diode (the part of the cable that comes out of the jacket and connects to the... connector). This will prevent signal loss from happening on that slight bit of exposed wire, which is where most of it happens.
    People dislike Monster because they are overpriced, but they do make high quality cables. Everyone needs to get a job for a monster retailer, you get a great discount.

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Alton: The best bet is to go with the custom cable sites. For less than Monster Video 2 prices, they will build you a set of HD rated video cables similar to what is used in professional production studios and network broadcast stations.

Do you have an HDTV? Only buy Monster if the package says "HDTV Compatible". (This is a bit of a slap as nowhere does Monster promise that any of their video cables can handle HDTV signals.) The custom sites will all provide frequency-response charts showing that their cables are HDTV compatible.

8. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

Check Ebay. I have seen some very good prices on Monster stuff over there.

9. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

There is very little difference between each grade of cable normally. If you email Monster though they will tell you the differance between each cable. Some are almost no difference at all to others having quite a bit. My self I don't like the mark up Monster has but I do think they make some very nice cables. BTW it's Nitrogen-Injected Dielectric,( Not diode ). And you can get them for an awsom deal if you work for a Monster dealer[​IMG]

10. Mike Boniferro

11. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Some of that information IS useful, but this is what I was talking about:

[​IMG]

This shows how a piece of coax responds to higher-and-higher frequencies.

Some things to note:

Component Video max frequency: 4 Mhz
    Progressive Scan video max frequency: 12 Mhz
    720/1080 HD video max frequency: 35 Mhz

The way an engineer would pick one cable over the other is this:

- Decide what max frequency you want the cable to handle. For 1080 HD video this would be 35 Mhz.

- Multiply the max frequency by 4. This gives us 140 Mhz

- Look at the frequency-response chart and find a coax that will have less than 3 db drop over 100 feet of coax. (A fancy word for signal-loss is "attenuation". 3 db is a fancy word for "50% signal loss")

Now you have a coax that will handle the signals. Only now does the engineer look at some of the other things like size (RG59, RG6, Mini coax), Price, etc.

Monster WONT give out the frequency response data for the Video 1/2/3/Z300 cables. Instead they tell you how many cuts are in the "turbine" RCA plug and what exotic gas is in the dielectric.

(Do you know if 8 or 12 cuts in the plug is better/worse? Or what effect the 95/85% shield has on the performance? Or what difference the gas in the dielectric has on the performace? I dont.)

The Frequency Response data is what is NOT given by Monster. The stuff they DO tell you does not convince me that the Z300 cables are worth $220 per set vs the $80 for the Video 1 cables.

12. Mike Boniferro

Interesting,
    is there anyone who is able to do these sorts of tests that is able to do so?

13. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

14. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Ahh.. but you missed an eariler quote:

15. Mike Boniferro

actually the video 2's, and I'd assme the 3's as well have the 'for HDTV' badge on them.
    But again Bob, does anyone bother to do these tests? are the independent one's out there? I'm very curious to know.

16. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

17. Mike Boniferro

I'll take a look at the exact wording on the packages next time I have a chance and report back... it says something about HDTV lol.
    And I guess if the ISF is behind them [​IMG]
    My feeling is just that they get a REALLY bad rap sometimes, which isn't totally fair. They are expensive, but I do believe there is some quality. I have done blind tests with people using different types of cables, and I have to say I believe that cables do make a difference [​IMG]