Monster Component and Hi-Def Pack

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sebastien R, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Sebastien R

Sebastien R Extra

Do you need the Hi-Def pack to hook up the Monster Component Cables or can you plug them directly on the XBOX. Will it give me the Progressive option in the video section if hooked up only with the component cables (again if possible)? Thanks

2. James St

James St Supporting Actor

You do not need both. The Monster set has the proprietary connection you need to plug them directly into the back of your XBox. It should give you the option of 480p/720p/1080i in the dashboard as well.

3. JosephMoore

JosephMoore Stunt Coordinator

Don't feed the Monster!

4. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

If you on this website you probably understand the importance of cables to your system and that Monster is doing us a favor by making these high quality cables available. People say there too expensive but really there pretty cheap relatively. I spent $800.00 on my stereo mains from Synergistic Research which is a lot more than I spent on my Monster Gamelink 400 X and Lightwave and with the Monster's I did see a big difference over the standard in sound and video performance.

5. JosephMoore

6. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

I'm comparing them to the Microsoft HD pack I've never owned them but I borrowed a set with from a friend and the difference was pretty big. There was a lot less color bleed in the images they also sharpened quiet a bit. There was a lot more detail in the backgrounds and contrast between lit and shaded areas.

The Monster Cables are very long to begin with (10-ft)that should be sufficient in most situations.

If you read any audio magazines you see how they constantly change cables to find the optimal setup and use different cables for interconnects and bi-amping etc.

You would be surprised how much difference cable make in a system I used to have all Monster then I upgraded to all Wire World and Synergistic. Monster is not the end-all of the Audio/Video world but they do make good cables at good prices theres no arguing that.

7. Ken Ingram

Ken Ingram Stunt Coordinator

I have the Monster Component (Gamelink 400) Cables and the Lightwave 100 which I got both for$55.00 open box.
    I tested the Microsoft Hd Pk and saw no difference in Picture Quality,None. I kept The Monster setup Because I got such a good Deal on it,cables are longer and will probally last longer.
    With Microsoft HD Pk $20.00+Coal cable$15.00+better componen
    t Cables$20.00 to replace those skinny little suckers would end up about the same price.

8. Ken Ingram

Ken Ingram Stunt Coordinator

That would be a Coax Cable not a coal cable.

9. JosephMoore

10. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I don't own both the monster stuff and the standard stuff so I can't do this myself. But someone with access to an oscilloscope should be able to test the cables and prove there is no difference and free us of this nonsense.

11. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

Ahh the denial.[​IMG]

12. JosephMoore

Um, DonJ, what are you talking about?
    While you're at it, for all our edification explain how a component cable (in which all the signals are seperate) could cause or eliminate "color bleed" and what property of a cable would enhance "detail" and "contrast."
    Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Monster has secretly built a DSP into their cables that enhances the output, maybe they coat their wires with "magic dust" that enhances contrast. Or maybe it's in your head.
    Again, sorry for being rude, but the fact that so many unknowing people get taken in by cable voodoo irks me. It irks me that manufacturers like Monster don't get held to the same "truth in advertising" standards as other industries. And it irks me that otherwise intelligent people think that basic junior high science somehow doesn't apply to their stereos.
    i'm going to go play "Mech Assault" now. I hope my eyes can stand the lack of "contrast" that my basic cables provide. [​IMG]

13. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

No I feel no need to continue this discussion, if you think all cables are the same who cares.[​IMG]

14. JosephMoore

15. jason bishop

jason bishop Extra

i like the monster solution not because they are better at transmitting audio or video but because its just one connection to the xbox. no extra thing hanging off the back of it. both are close in price if you shop around granted the monsters a little more. so what im saying i guess is that IMO its mostly an appearance issue not performance. I don't think you'll tell a difference between monsters and the HD pack from MS.

16. JosephMoore

Jason,
    Now that's a reason that makes sense. Isn't the Monster solution (with the addition of digital audio) a lot more expensive, though? I got the Microsloth adapter for $20. Isn't the Monster solution at least double that?

The Microsoft break-out box is a bit of a pain in my set-up, but not enough of a pain to spend over$100 on Monster's cable.

17. jason bishop

jason bishop Extra

i was a fool and spent the big bucks at BestBuy. i think you should be able to find it cheaper online ill look around today and see what i can find.