What's new

MOnster Cables (1 Viewer)

KwongC

Agent
Does anyone know what the differences are in the varying levels of Monster Cable? I see cheap ones (kind of skinny in pale gray colors) and I also see super expensive ones (the ones in black with gold connectors or the super fat ones with a braided jacket).

There is obviously a huget price gap but I want to know if their really is a difference in performance, build, etc.

Btw, I notice not too many people rave about using Monster cables in this forum? Is just an expensive brand name that' not really worth the performance it puts out?

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
I started out with entry level Monster cabling years back, and even moved up a wrung to their more expensive cables. Honestly, I could not hear/see the improvement(s) as I migrated up (only one wrung up, btw ;^).
But that is not necessarily the fault of Monster. At a point, I just sold off all the Monster stuff and never looked back. Just a choice, a preference on my part really.
Monster is a marketing company as well as a cabling one. They offer multiple price points, different designs, different flavors.... all to meet a buyers point of entry into cabling. And they are very successful at what they do. And chances are, if you are buying consumer audio/video products from a mass marketer, then you will be solicited with Monster after you purchase your speakers/DVD player/CDP/ RPTV...etc.. As sure as rain, the saleperson will walk you over to the Monster rack and you are , as they say, hooked.

Lately, though, the hold Monster has enjoyed (i.e. the internet) in the BB/CC type superstores has lost some of it's grip on new buyers. The web is a great tool.

Anyway, Monster does offer some higher end cabling that some users praise. Like all things, their cables will do the job.... but you may be paying more than you should. It is up to you.

If I was just getting into HT, or even putting together a new audio system, I would take a serious look at the new cables from Harmonic Technology. Their very new Harmony Link cables are priced right there for an entry level purchase IMO.
HT's Harmony Link interconnects, 1 meter, pair....$79.
Harmony Link 8ft. pair, speaker cables ...........$129.

IMO, that is high quality cabling and pricing that should turn some buyers to consider a "boutique" manufacturer.
If I was shopping for new cable, the single crystal Harmony Link stuff would be on my short list.

All IMO

BOK

HankM

Second Unit
If I was shopping for new cable, the single crystal Harmony Link stuff would be on my short list.
Well said Brian. I currently use MIT Terminator 2 Bi-wire for my mains and use MIT MI-330II for my cd player. The only Harmonic Technology product I use is their PRO-AC11 power cord which is on my cd player. I've been thinking of going with HT all around. IMO this is the best new cable manufacturer to come around in a while.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Hank,

I too use the HT Pro-AC CL3 power cord on my CDP.
All bought used @ Audiogon.
It is very seldom one sees a negative comment about HT wire.

BOK

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well Monster tends to be more than a bit closed mouthed about any of their cables. Hence looking at them and trying to decide what the differences are, if indeed there are any, is confusing. To Monster's credit, I believe their cables have a lifetime warantee, so if you save your receipt, and through use your cable fails in some way, you've got a new one coming. However, you do pay quite a bit for Monster's overhead in terms of marketing and advertising. That's not to say you don't or can't pay similarly disproportionately high prices from other companies products. The thing is, you, the consumer, need to find a way to become informed as to what's meaningful in terms of requirements for a particular type of cable and what is meaningless. For example, take the time to peruse this thread which dealt with the topic of interconnects. It is quite possible to achieve excellence without spending inordinate sums. Best of luck to you :)

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Not being a big fan of Monster cables. I've owned plenty but find they are too pricey for the performance they offer.
Their lower priced cables are similar in performance to Radio Shack Golds but cost more. As far as retail value/performance I think AR has a better line of cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks