Monster Cables for Gamecube

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cameron Seaman, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

2. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

Wow, what a joke! How can a CABLE company claim to offer the best quality components when they deny their customer base the best possible connection?! Unreal! Good thing I ordered my Nintendo cable yesterday...

3. VinT

VinT Agent

I've been holding out on the component cables for news of the upcoming monster ones. I guess i'll live with the Nintendo cables.

4. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Well seeing as how I don't have component imputs, this is good news...I've got the monters svideo ones for ps2, but haven't bought any for my gamecube hoping monster would come out with a set.

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Why not just get the Nintendo ones?

6. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

dunno. i've got the nintendo ones and like them. moster woulda charged some 2.5 times what nintendo does.

7. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

I have yet to order the nintnedo ones, was waiting on the monster ones after seeing the difference they made on an Xbox. Will just have to get Nintendos now(but they always have a good product in my opinion)

8. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I contacted Monster awhile back (around GameCube launch time), and asked them about making component and s-video cables for the GameCube. They said that they had no plans at that time, because they didn't feel the market would be large enough. As is Monster didn't make all sorts of other useless cables...

Do a search in this forum, and you'll find the thread.

I'm using the MadCatz S-video cables. They seem to work fine, but I would prefer something with a bit more heft.

9. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Guys, just get the Nintendo component video cables if you have the option. It is worth it.

10. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

The Nintendo cables are pretty poor for what they charge. They aren't shielded as well as they should be for $29.99, and you still have to use the AV cable for sound since the component cable only carries video. I'd say they're no better qualitywise than the Pelican PS2 cable I got for $7.99, and nowhere close to the Microsoft HD pack that costs 19.99

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I use the Nintendo Component cables and they seem fine. I also use the Sony PS2 Component cables and they seem fine. Is there some secret that Monster uses that makes their ultra-expensive cables really worth it?

12. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Better materials and better construction. Outside of the proprietary world of videogames though, higher quality cables can be found for lower prices.

-Dave

13. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

I'm currently using the 1rst party GC component cables, work just fine for me.
    I totally understand Monseters stance. Face it, the GC is going to be hooked up to more 27" tubes int eh 'fids' room than in the HT of adults (us being the exception [​IMG].
    Monster cables are over priced.

14. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

So the Monster GameCube cables came out recently, I guess. I first saw them last night in the store, and picked them up today. They were $30 at GameStop. They're similar in design to the PS2 gamelink cables, with one thick cable running from the system to a "pod" that sprouts three cables, s-video, and two audio. They're 3 meters long. I replaced my rather wimpy (and short) s-video cables that I got awhile back, and noticed a small improvement while playing Mario Sunshine on my 27" trinitron.

15. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Huh? You're saying Monster did release cables for Gamecube? I thought this whole thread was about how they weren't going to do that.

Are they only S-video?

16. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Camp, accoridng to the IGN arcticle of a couple months back, Monster was not releasing a component version. Definitely s-video and maybe composite(?), but no component. Not sure I understand the marketing logic of that one. If they profess to be a manufacturer of "premium" cables and they are going to the trouble of creating a GCN line, then why would you not offer a "top of the line" product for the system?
    Gary

17. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
  18. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Thanks, Gary.

19. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Camp,
    Yep, Monster came out with S-Video cables for the Gamecube. I can't find any information on them on their website, but I saw them at GameStop, so I decided to pick them up and give 'em a try. Sorry for the choppiness of the above review, it was written at almost 3am [​IMG] All in all, not a signifigant improvment over my previous cables, but there is a small one. I'm going to keep them though, because they're much more durable, and longer.
    I've no idea if Monster is planning on releasing any other cables for the Gamecube or not.

20. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

I actually bought the Monster Cable S-Video cable for my GC yesterday. I found it at a local Funcoland store yesterday. $29.99.

scott.