What's new

monster Cables, are they worth the money? (1 Viewer)

Wah Foo

Auditioning
i recently purchased the Toshiba 65h80 hdtv, and the toshiba 6200 dvd player, and i was wondering how much of a difference would it make to purchase the monster cables, they are a little high, but i dont mind purchasing them if i will see a noticable difference.i was going to get the monster component video cables, does anyone know the difference between these and just a pair of pretty good cables?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
You may get a different response in the hardware section, but I'll be glad to share my opinion here. For *average* equipment, I think expensive cables are a waste of money. But for higher-end equipment, I'm a little more prone to shell out the bucks for the cables.
Now that doesn't mean that you should go out and buy Monster component video cables for your TV, but I would go for something a little more shielded than the cables that came standard with your DVD player. I'm sure we all have a collection of those thin little red, white, and yellow A/V cables. Heck, I just bought a couple of those to switch between my TiVo, Satellite, and VCR.
But for the HDTV and the Sony 9000, I got some medium-grade component cables that ran about $60 for 10 feet. The Monster equivalent was $100...and I have some of those, too. There was no discernable difference in video quality between the two different cables.
Now I didn't try a set of those cheap red/white/yellow cables for the ultimate comparison.
What does everyone else think?
- Steve

Joel Smith

Agent
Cabling is a touchy topic. I agree with what some people say but disagree with what others say. I think it all depends on the lengths you are going to run these cables. If you are only going a couple feet then cables shouldnt matter that much. For longer runs it is a completley different matter. With digital signals they are eiher getting there or not getting there no inbetween, so if you are having success with radio shack cable then keep using it. I have done some comparisions with low grade cable compared to montser and to tell you the truth I didnt notice much of a difference. I have a toshiba 56x81 tv, with the rca dtc-100 satellite receiver. Let your eyes tell you what to buy not someone elses. You can always return them if you dont like what you see.
Joel

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
I believe that video cable is worth the $$$ for elaborate systems. Especially in-wall wiring, the better construction and extra shield is well worth the investment since it would be more cumbersome to remove old, oxidized, cheap cables.
If you have it within your budget, by all means, invest in them. I believe that cables are the most lasting of all HT equipment investments. Equipment may be upgraded, or used in secondary set ups, but good cables stay.
ELbert

Mike_P

Agent
I estimate you have $3000 -$4000 invested in your dvd player and tv. Why not spend $100 to get the picture from your dvd player to the tv in the best possible condition? I have the Toshiba 5109 connected to a Toshiba TN50X81 with a Monster component video cable. It was expensive but the picture is oh so nice!
Also, imagine the looks on your friends' faces when you tell them how much you spent on a VIDEO CABLE!
rolleyes.gif
(Just be sure your wife isn't in earshot!)
biggrin.gif

Mike

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
I got a not so great reaction from my girlfriend when I picked up a monster cable for my Sony subwoofer i picked up at Best Buy. almost 50 for the cable, that the salsman insisted I needed. When he left I looked for a NON-monter cable but they didn't have any specifically for subs. But low and behold when i get home and open my new sub...There's one in the box. Gotta love those BB salespeople
frown.gif

Crash

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
I would also recommend high quality cables for most systems. Buying "Monster" cables though, you'll probably end up paying a few pennies just for the name. I have a few Monster cables but I mostly use cables from Acoustic Research. I think they are just as high quality as Monster but cost about half as much. Just my oppinion.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I estimate you have $3000 -$4000 invested in your dvd player and tv. Why not spend $100 to get the picture from your dvd player to the tv in the best possible condition?
This was my train of thought after purchasing a Toshiba 56H80 and 6200 progressive player. I decided that a $3,800 investment in video equipment justified a little more expense in the interconnects, so I opted for a 3 meter Bettercables component cable. The picture was slightly improved over the temporary Radio Shack $15 Gold Series cables that I had been using. While the difference was not earth shattering, it was noticable in a clearer image with better defined colors. I do not regret the expense.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 15

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks