What's new

Monster cable vs better cables (1 Viewer)

Mike Butny

Stunt Coordinator
Which cable is better, mosters top of the line M1000D digital coaxial cable or Better cables silver sirpent coaxial cable. Has anyone compared them against each other.

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
"Better" is a completely subjective term when it comes to digital audio cables, in that you could never "prove" one is "better" than the other to the point of forming a consensus. Do what I did, buy a hand made Canare cable off of eBay. It's is just as high quality a cable as the others and has been a "recommended component" in Stereophile magazine for YEARS. I got a 1 meter cable in the color of my choosing from "[email protected]" for $22/shipped.

good luck

Jim

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I gotta back Jim up on this one. Digital signals tend to be a lot less sensitive to the cables than analog.

(If you search for my posts, can you tell which ones are done with Netscape on a $12,000 Sun workstation with a high-bandwidth connection to the internet vs the ones using Internet Explorer and my satelite modem on my home PC?)

While different digital cables DO sound a bit different in production studios, this is a very different situation than in your home going 4 feet from your DVD player to your receiver.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Every digital cable will behave exactly like every other digital cable as long as you're downloading web pages from your DVD player to your receiver.
Sorry... couldn't resist :)
I agree with the other posts - the difference between those cables, if any, would be minimal. In a typical home theater scenario, you would be really hard pressed to notice any difference at all. This is assuming you have a competent transport (CD/DVD player) and DAC (receiver).
However, in theory... :)

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
Mike:

There have been dozens of threads and hundreds of arguments about the difference in wires. Most believers still believe and most doubters still doubt.

I'll relate my experience with the coax that runs from my DVD player to my receiver. I had a moderately priced Monster Cable Series 3 installed. For some reason, while ordering a component cable for my front projector, I checked the box to order a Better Cables coax to replace the Monster, not expecting any difference.

Well guess what, there was a big difference. I got rid of raspy highs, no longer have to use Cinema ReEq on most movies, and generally got a much, much smoother sound.

Why? I don't know. Both cables were the same price. Theoretically, digital is supposedly digital. In my case there was a big difference between Monster and Better Cables.

Based on this experience, it's always Better Cables for me from now on.

Deane

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks