What's new

Monster Cable Vs Audio Quest (1 Viewer)

Thomas&CJ

Agent
Hello wondering if anyone could compare the sonic differences between the new Monster cable "Clear Jacket" speaker cable and the "Audio Quest GR8" just wondering which one might be considered better. I currently have the Clear Cable by Monster but I picked up an issue of Sterophile magazine and saw that the Audio Quest was advertised and on sale, also how would you compare the GR8 to the Monster cable Z1 hope I'm in the right place only been a member a few months but I've learned so much here! Thanks :b

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'll put it this way. In controlled testing where the participants do not know the identity of the wire and where levels have been matched at the speaker terminals, not a person has been reliably been able to identify one wire from another provided both wires are of similar length and gauge. Of course, if you're going to run 100 feet of so and your speakers happen to have a very low impedance in the upper frequencies then possibly an audible difference can be detected.
Not the answer you wanted, but that's the way it is.

Thomas&CJ

Agent
I believe the gauges are different between the two. I know the GR8 is 10 gauge, I'll have to call Monster and find out what the Clear Jacket is they don't mention it on there web sight but it doesn't look like it's 10.

Tom j.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
far as i'm concerned, over a nominal length of wire, 10 is pretty much similar to 16, 18.

Thomas&CJ

Agent
Ok then guys how about interconnects are there any differences there? Need some with standard RCA ends how do the Monster Interlink References compare to the Audio Quest Coral/CQ's??

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Why don't you give this link a read and follow that up with this one. Hopefully it'll shed some light on this interconnect question of yours. Then, if you're still hell bent on this interconnect thing, set yourself a mission. Define the amount you want to spend and search out the lowest capacitance best shielded ones you can find at your price point or roll your own if you're handy with a soldering iron.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks