What's new

Monster Cable Prices in Canada (1 Viewer)

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
About 6 months ago, I was bitten hard by the home theater/music bug. At that time, when I was purchasing the various Monster interconnects from a local AV store, I noticed that their prices were on average 50% more than the MSRP on the Monster website. This was not a local phenomenon. A wide variety of stores across southern Ontario were the same. I was able to knock the price down to 10% above the MSRP by bringing in printed copies of Monster's website and haggling. Most of the posts that I have read about Monster Cables is that although they are relatively good, their prices are too high for what one gets. My question is does anyone know why in Canada the prices are even that much higher? If the general consensus is that their products are somewhat overpriced in the US, then they are absolutely insane in Canada.

David

Jon SS

Auditioning
I e-mailed Monster for a Canadian price list in this is what they said

"Typically the pricing in Canada would be US. pricing x 1.6 to 1.85. This accounts for the currency, shipping and duties when importing into Canada.

If there are cables you like on the website and you multiply by 1.85, you should be close to the pricing you'll find in Canadian stores."

Hope this helps. I have been checking out bettercables.com which seem to be better priced.

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply and the research.
I can understand the currency rate of course, but as I believe Monster manufactures their cables in the US, there is no duty charges (NAFTA). As far as shipping goes, I work in a manufacturing environment whereby we ship to numerous locations throughout Canada and the US. There is no way that the shipping charge spread out on a cable would amount to much at all. Methinks that the distributor of the cables in Canada or the stores themselves are making an exorbitant profit as I have found in practice the multiplying factor to be between 2 and, get this, 3 (for the Interlink 100 - the digital coax cable).
Oh well, live and learn and buy other cables.
Unfortunately bettercables.com does not ship internationally.

David

Jeff Mills

Stunt Coordinator
If Monster does not have a canadian distributor, local stores would be buying small shipments from monster USA. Brokerage fees can kill you on small orders which could be part of the reason for extremely high prices in Canada.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I had a customer who wanted a Monster X-Box cable and I needed a few other things, so I placed a small order. I was billed nearly $100 for transportation and brokerage!

There is a clip level where no-charge shipping kicks in, but it's pretty lofty.

Jeff Mills

Stunt Coordinator
I recently ordered $50 US worth of goods. It came to $77 canadian on my visa, and then I was charged $45 for brokerage. Getting stuff from across the border sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks