1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Monster Cable PowerBar 2100 -- worth it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Gordon, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

2. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

It's a decent unit. The HTS800 is more of a "glorified power strip" with very little in the way of islating digital components. The PB2100 has digital sourec filtering for your digital components. For it higher current analog outlets, it features higher current capabilities. The Power Bar 1100 and 2100 are a bit more comprehensively designed over the 800 and below.

I do like the way the PBs are designed and how well laid out the outlets are. It can be wall mounted as well and seems like a step up over the 2000.

I remember a review on the 2000 in WSR. THey were doing a 2 part article/review on surge and power conditioners. The conclusion was YES- the 2000 did make a difference. Some of the other conditioner had more of an effect on the sound, but all changes were "subtle" at best. I believe that only the $1300+ PS AUdio power plant was the only one to have any impact on video quality.

Surprisingly enough, when the reviewer fed the coax catv cable through the HTS2000 catv filter/protection, the reviewer stated tha the image did improve.....

Elbert

3. Jeff Mills

Jeff Mills Stunt Coordinator

4. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

I think so anyhting over the 2000 series is a great product.

5. Chris_Freeman

6. Elbert Lee

I believe that Monster's AC power conditioners are probably the least controversial of their products since there truly are a majority of AC power products out there that cost so much more. The 1000 and higher are the only ones that you should seriously consider because the 800 and below are simply just power strips with surge protection (easy to tell by size and weight) Monster actually hired an established engineer in this field to design their AC power products so I believe that the 1000-5100 series should be a good reference in which to compare your other choices. As with all power conditioning/surge producdts, there are varying degrees of improvements, but, on the whole, I've read and heard positive things about the Monster AC products and very little in terms of negative comments(simply because the are priced on the lower end of the AC products spectrum and do not represent a poor value)

Elbert

7. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

I have the monster HTS1500 and noticed a pretty good improvement in my picture I dont really think it done anything as far as sound or anything but the picture improvement was worth the $150 I spent.[​IMG]

8. Elbert Lee

joe - do you mean the HTS 5100? I wasn't aware that there was a 1500.

Elbert

9. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

He means the hts 1000. It's regularly 150 and I have it and a spare and haven't noticed much of a difference.

10. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Matt,

If you haven't, try a search on the forum for not only Monster Powerbars but also "Monster HTS" or similar. There've been quite a number of threads discussing (and ranting/raving) about the Monster strips vs. other products. The resulting threads may give you not only more opinions/feedback from people using Monster but also some ideas of alternatives, if you are considering such.

Regards,

Mike

11. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Ya I think Adil is right its the HTS1000 been awhile since Ive looked at it.

12. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

elbert is right
    i heard less hum w/ the hts1000 vs ht800
    i've used both
    can anyone answer my AC outlet question?

13. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

jeffrey, why wud you NOT want to provide surge protection to your Sunfire pre/pro and DVD player?

I plug my Anthem amp bareback to the wall outlet; the manufacturer approves of this because of its internal circuit protection. OTOH my receiver-prepro, tv, and the rest of the digital and analog boxes go to my surge suppressor.

14. Ron Duca

Ron Duca Stunt Coordinator

Bill,

Does Anthem have anything in writing regarding their recommendation to plug their amps directly into the wall? I'm looking for some technical papers on this subject.

Also, what brand and model of surge protector do you use for your other equipment?

Thanks,

Ron

15. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

ron, sent email.