Monster Cable Meeting

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adil M, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I volunteered at my part time job to go to one of these meets. Please give me some good questions to ask them like how come the higher frequencies tend to stay on the outer edge/ skin of the wire and stuff like that? Come on nonbelievers.

2. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator

Ask them why there is more plastic than copper in their speaker wire. Is that plastic core really necessary? I can't see how it helps except to artificially increase the "gauge" of the wire without actually using much copper.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bob asked:

5. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Bob,

Am I wrong to have assumed that "skin effect" was only relevant in video frequencies and not really in audio frequencies? Is this going to change now w/ the advent of SACD audio frequencies? This meeting is going to be in Raleigh tomorrow. I am also going to be asking them a whole crapload about the Monster Power 7000 which is supposedly balanced.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'd love to know if they've done any kind of blind or double-blind tests - and if so, how they were done and what the outcomes were. [​IMG]

7. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

Most important thing of all: come up with one question that you simply must ask.

If you come on too strong or like too much of a "non-believer," you can rest assured that the speaker won't see your hand raised after the first question you ask.

Any chance of farming out some of these questions to friends/coworkers who will be there?

Oh, and you will be reporting back to us the answers, won't you?

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Robert, I like the tag-team approach. I certainly couldn't see one person continuing to be the pain in the a$$ that I portrayed in my previous post. As I said, such an attitude would likely get one thrown out, and quick. [​IMG]

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Adil: AFAIK the skin effect is valid for any conductor above a few hz. (I remember a Physics problem where the instructor asked us to calculate the savings if the electrical company only used hollow high-power wires).

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Perhaps Monster would care to share with you their testing protocol regarding speaker cables. Also, as Bob points out in the area of different video cables, rather than their pointing out differences in construction, perhaps they can provide some data that would substantiate that the price differential is related to an improved picture in some way.

11. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

You guys are going to have to wait on the answers. I got in a fender-bender on the way there. I only caught the last 30 minutes. It was basically a training seminar w/ a Tony Robbins type guy. Every second question was "so, who's the best cable company?" "Monster (whole room but me and some others)"

They gave out shirts, batteries, and some equipment. He gave me a Line conditioner, HTS1000. Ironically, I already have it and did not notice a benefit. Oh well, exchange time, shhh. I'll probably volunteer again for the free stuff.

After the meeting I asked him some of the questions starting w/ the 75 ohm connectors. I swear his eyes glazed over and he gave me his email and told me to ask them there. I'm guessing he wanted to leave too. Sort of rude and obnoxious.

Anyway when I get a response from his email... well he didn't know what double blind testing was... sorry guys. I got this part time job for fun.

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

well one musn't ask questions that disturb their presentation....usually these guys don't know too much other than a standard song and dance....glad to hear you got something for your efforts to compensate for the fender bender.

13. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Adil - sorry to hear about your fender-bender. Hope no major injury or damage.

It sounds like the show was put on by the Marketing department so we would not get any technical answers anyway.