Monster Cable AVS2000 "MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luis A, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

I received my AVS2000 fiday night, and thought I'd post my recent experience with it.
    I had listened to my system for several hours before I recieved my AVS2000 so that I would be able to tell if there was a difference. OH YEAH! Huge difference.
    I first started with BT: Rare & Remixed, and Sandra Collins: Cream for stereo (I like techno). Talk about "jaw dropping". Sounds that I had never heard before or could barely hear became very clear, like a curtain or blanket had been lifted off the speakers. The soundstage was huge, and improved. I had to make sure several times that I was really listening in stereo.
    For movies I demoed Star Wars: EP1, Toy Story 2, The Fast and The Furious, Rush Hour 2, JP 1&3, and Moulin Rouge. Again the sound came alve like I've never heard it before. The front speakers totally disappeared, and the surrounds had alot more clarity. Also, the video was a big improvement. The "ringing in SW:EP1 was not as evident, and Rush Hour 2 seemed like a new transfer. Images from both films were largely improved with the addition of the AVS2000. The Fast and the Furious, Toy Story 2, and JP 1&3 all with great transfers already were even better. Evereything was more 3D like, and colors were more vibrant than before. There was no sign of "choking" when I turned my theater up, even past reference. IMO, this thing is awesome.
    Also, I know there were some reviews that talked about the AVS2000 stinking, and making a bunch of noise. I can tell you the AVS2000 does smell. Not the stinky smell. It smells like a new piece of gear, kinda like that new car smell, the good smell, but I can't smell it from the seats. I can smell it when I'm about a foot away from the AVS2000, and thats it. As far as loud noises, not that I've heard. The unit is 98% quite. I do hear a small "shifting" sound whenever the refrigerator comes on, to adjust output voltage I guess, but not detectable from the seats.
    I don't have major power problems, and power only drops down to about 115v when all my gear is turned on. I bought the AVS2000 to see if having a constant 120v would make a difference, and I think I've already explained that it does.
    For the amount of the AVS2000 my "theater" now sounds like a "THEATER".
    Now I have to try, and find time to watch my collection all over again.[​IMG]
    L

2. Richard Goode

Luis, that sounds like a great product. I have been looking

at the Monster AVS-2000 also. The power in florida is terrible. I'am currently using the Richard Gray Power Company power conditioners and they work pretty well, but I think by adding the Monster avs-2000 will give me the little extra power I need. What components do you have hooked up the avs-2000. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

3. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

Richard,

If you are currently using the Richard Gray power conditioners, I would doubt that the AVS2000 is going to help you any. The Richard Gray products are some of the best in the industry, several steps above the AVS2000, IMO.

4. Richard Goode

Mark, thanks for you comments. I agree that the Richard Gray power company line conditioners are very affective.

I use 3 of them and they store power very well. The reason

I'am considering the avs-2000 is because I have a lot of power flucuations do to my bad power. And it does affect the way my system sounds even with 3 RGPC's. I use a dedicated 20 amp outlet. My sysrem consists of the following: Toshiba 65h80 65 inch RPTV, Denon AVR-5800 receiver, Denon DVD-2800 dvd player, Denon DCM-370 cd changer, Sony hi-def satelite. Definitve Technology BP-2000tl's for front, CLR-3000 for center, BPVX/P for rears, and SVS CS-ultra with samson 1000 amp. All my cables are are XLO and Richard Gray power company(3) for surge protection. As I said before all Im trying to use the avs-2000 for is to clean up the power coming out of my wall. I will still use the Richard Gray's for surge and and power on demand. What are your thoughts?

5. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

The AVS2000 is a voltage stabilizer for the most part (with the power conditioning built in as well). So if you are prone to any kind of voltage swings this will stabilize that. You set it to give you 120v all the time, so if you voltage drops down to 110v your equipment is still getting the "optimal" amount of juice. A regular power conditioner doesn't do this.

In theory it should work very well, especially if you live some place where you get those kinds of power swings, or if you get dips when big electricity pigs turn on (like the A/c or heater, fridge, electric stove/oven, hair dryers). If you get rock solid stable voltage at all times, then the AVS2000 won't be as much of a help to you.

Andrew

6. Mark Austin

My mistake. It may give you what you need. Give it a shot.

7. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

Richard,
    Here is what I'm using with the AVS2000. In the 4 switched outlets I have hooked up 3 B&K REF220M mono amps, and a Mits WS55805 RPTV. In the unswitched outlet I have a Monster Cable HTS-5100 that has 2 Martin Logan Aeon, and a Cinema center plugged in. Also, a Toshiba SD-9200 DVD player, A Pioneer CLD-D504 laserdisc player, B&K REF30 Preamp, and Sony SCD-CE775 SACD/CD player. The amps, speakers, and subs in the rear of the room are all hooked into another HTS-5100, but I will be getting another AVS2000 sometime soon.
    As far as RGPC I have no idea how they compare, but I know for fact the AVS improved everything in the system I used. I guess a good idea would be to demo an AVS2000 if you can, and see what you think. I'd like to know how the 2 compare, or maybe if they compliment each other. Like I posted earlier my power never really got below 115v with all equipment turned on, but the AVS still made a massive improvement. Take Care.[​IMG]
    L

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I have to second the Monster Cable AC conditioners recommendations.

I have an HTS-5000 and it really improved the sound on my system. The design is from Richard Marsh, a well regarded circuit designer.

If you really want to step up another level, try the PS Audio AC power "regenerators". Alas, they start at $1200.

Typically, most places have "dirty" AC power. Recording engineers even notice this in top studios. Eliminating RFI and EMI creates a more silent background which comes through as clarity of sound.

Lee

9. Mark Austin

Lee,
    I think you made the same mistake I did. I thought they were talking about the HTS-2000 at first. The AVS-2000 retails for like $1500. [​IMG]

10. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

My local dealer salesman told me that it's a hot seller and that he likes it a lot. He said that he hooked it up in the store and did not hear much audible differences since his power was just at 115w just 5w off. I am really starting to believe in the product. It definitely gives you some peace of mind.

11. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

"It definitely gives you some peace of mind"
    No doubt Howard. I know the amps are getting all the "juice" they need, and the equipment is getting surge protection as well. An absolute must have IMO.[​IMG]
    L