What's new

Monster AVS2000 Voltage Stabilizer (1 Viewer)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Does anyone know where in Canada I can obtain this piece...? I checked a local store here today and they claim the CAN MRSP is more than double that of the US MRSP (which is hard to believe...). A used or demo unit would be fine too.
Anyone have any personal experience with this unit...?
Thanks for your help!!
Herb.
------------------

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Herb- I personally think that there are better units out there.
My understanding is that the Monster box uses old variactor technology (physical switches and relays) to basically only control voltage.
For voltage control alone, I would recommend ExactPower. Solid state.
For other "AC enhancement devices," better bets are (in my opinion), Richard Gray's Power Company, PS Audio (P300, P600), Equi=Tech, and Audio Power.
Here's some web sites:
www.audiopower.com
Link Removed
www.psaudio.com
www.richardgrayspowercompany.com/
The Secrets of Home Theater site has done some very excellent reviews of some of these (and others):
Link Removed
Enjoy!
------------------

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Hi Kevin:
Thanks for the response. When we last spoke, I was just getting my Richard Grays 1200S and I believe you were getting one or two of the 400 units... (??). Are you pleased with their performance?
I presently have the 1200S at the rear of HT and I'm very pleased with it - especially with the FP. In fact I just installed 3 dedicated 20 amp circuits and I'm noticing even more of a difference.... wife even noticed. What's that tell ya?
I can use another power center at the front so I was thinking of trying something different. I have been looking at the others you mentioned as well. FWIW, I can get another 1200S for almost half the price of the others.... so that might be the way to go....!
Herb.
------------------

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Herb- You have a better memory than me! :)
I had 2 400s'. I divied them up to 1 for video and 1 for sound.
Didn't really notice much of a difference with either.
But, I didn't really do much comparison either.
(Sort of what I saw/heard "the day before" I switched, and then the "day after." Didn't really do any switching back and forth for a realtime comparison.)
Anyway! In the end, I kept 1 400s for video, and then I changed my old Adcom ACE 515 for a new 615 for the audio. That's where I'm at now.
But I'm slowly warming up to the benefit of "balanced power." (Equi=Tech, PS Audio, some of the Audio Power boxes.)
I think that I would love to get a PS Audio P600, but I don't have the stupid space for it.
Check out the reviews at the Secrets site and lemme know what you think!
------------------

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The latest WSR also just reviewed the Monster box. They literally said, "it stinks!"
------------------

David Judah

Screenwriter
"it stinks!"
LOL. Yes the odor(new out of the box) and the noise(audible noise when adjusting, not line noise)were two things the WSR article mentioned as minor downsides, but neither had a major impact on the review.
It was actually a very good review, stating the product delivered as advertised.
DJ

HankM

Second Unit
Stereophile GTH also said the unit "smells" and that there is an audible hum from it. I was also looking into this one but instead I'm going to try a Monster HTS5000.
------------------

Herb, I was thinking about the same unit after looking at the price. But after reading reviews, I decided against it. I instead just ordered a Tice Solo Video Power Conditioner. I talked with George Tice for about half an hour and liked what he had to say. He actually helped me figure out a problem I had with my Sony KV36XBR450.
I will have the unit friday and see if it truly makes a difference in picture quality. He has a 30 day guarantee, if your not happy. The unit cost me $510 w/2nd day air. It was a b-stock item, slight blem on the casing. It won't be seen, so it helped me save a little.
If anyone is interested I'll do a follow up after the install.
Here's a link: http://www.ticeaudio.com/frm_pcmi.htm
------------------
Anime:
Cheaper than crack and a hell of a lot more addictive.
My addiction

Han

Second Unit
Michael, let us know in a new thread how that Tice product works out. I'm very interested in hearing about the results.

David Judah

Screenwriter
Just remeber ths AVS2000 is a voltage stabilizer, not a line conditioner. You can use it in concert with a conditioner, but it is not meant to replace one.
DJ

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
"Just remeber ths AVS2000 is a voltage stabilizer, not a line conditioner. You can use it in concert with a conditioner, but it is not meant to replace one."
David, exactly! I spoke to the Monster Rep in our area yesterday who confirmed same. He suggested it be run in conjunction with their HTS5000 for maximum coverage in both areas. Obviously that changes the picture somewhat (at least dollar wise).
I would also be interested in the Tice results. Please do post them.
Thanks for everyone's reponse!!
Herb Kane.
------------------

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Herb- Just curious, have you looked at Equi=Tech or PS Audio?
(I am curious as to your decision criteria, as I am in the same boat trying to decide if I want to migrate from my set up or not!)
And then, the latest WSR at least, has an ad for the (new) Smart Devices GC-120. Also balanced power, but has isolated output ground (?), and the Equi=Tech's don't. (But an Equi=Tech would fit in my rack, most of the others won't!)
I actually thought the Monster reviews were quite negative. (You have to "read between the lines" in terms of the other power conditioners they have reviewed in the past.) And, ... $1500 but no noise suppression.
I saw/heard a *rumor* somewhere, that the reason why the RGPC review from the Secret's site is late, is that they didn't see/hear any difference with it!
------------------

David Judah

Screenwriter
You have to "read between the lines" in terms of the other power conditioners they have reviewed in the past.
Once again, the AVS2000 is not a power conditioner. It is a voltage stabilizer designed to keep a constant voltage of 120 volts for your components(amplifiers)regardless of what your power company is supplying(as long as it is providing between 80 & 140 volts).
DJ

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Hi Kevin:
In answer to your question; no. I have not looked into Equi=Tech. I have looked into PS Audio. That is, done a lot of reading on the product and it seems to be a well liked rather common product. I have not auditioned it, however. There is only one dealer for PS Audio (that I know of in the general area) and even they're a couple of hours away.
I went out and purchased the newest WSR to check out the review of the Monster AVS2000. I too, found the article to be rather favourable of the product. Keeping in mind, their emphasis in stressing the fact, that the AVS2000 is NOT a conditioner. So for me, spending $1500 for a product that corrects a problem that doesn't exist (at least in my area), doesn't make a lot of sense. I was leaning towards the AVS2000 initially due to the recent reviews and price but I have changed direction after learning it has no conditioning properties. So, I'm now leaning towards something that is indeed, a conditioner.
Regarding the RGPC, as I said earlier, I do have the 1200S. I believe it does a great job - especially for the video side, in particular my projector. As for the audio side, I admit, I hear little difference. Perhaps a little peace of mind knowing everything is neatly tied into (or plugged into) one central power source. Looks good and keeps wiring very neat. It should also be noted, that the RGPC never even gets warm (not even slightly) and is dead quiet. As for why a review of their product has never made it to Secrets, I have no idea. An awful lot of other review mags & web site reference equipment lists seem to mention RG products. Whether or not they actually like the product or perhaps Dick McArthy has just done a solid marketing job (wink wink), is unknown to me. WSR did a very favourable review of the RG last year (Richard Hardesty).
So, if I were to buy a new unit tomorrow, I would be leaning towards another RG or perhaps a PS Audio. The only drawback with the PS Audio is that for me, it's almost a $1000 bucks more (for the p600). Not sure, I'd spend that on something that will ultimately produce such a minute difference...
There is a big electronics show in mid October in Toronto, so I might just wait & see what shows up and go from there. If I play my cards right, my birthday is in November. What a great gift idea. Timing is everything.....
Let me know what you do.
Herb.
------------------

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Herb, what big electronics show in Toronto?!?
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
JohnnyG:
The Annual Home Entertainment show in Toronto. It goes from October 19th through 21st at the Holiday Inn (King & Peter Sts). For more info:
Link Removed
It's the biggest show of the year in our area.
Herb Kane.
------------------

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Herb e-mailed me and asked if I'd participate.
I'm going to add in my two cents and we'll see what comes of it. I have had at various times in my system:
Equi=tech 2Q (too much money for me to keep but it is very nice!)
Balanced Power Technologies BP-2 (an affordable alternative to the Equi=tech)
PS Audio Power Plant 300 (A loaner from Stacey Spears until the next shootout)
RGPC 400s
RGPC 1200s
All of the products producing balanced power (Equi=tech, BPT, PS Audio) have made improvements to my system in two areas... Transformer hum from amplifiers is non-existent, and the system sounds subjectively louder at a given SPL.
Transformer hum is induced in my system because I've not yet gone to full out "tweak-o-mania" in getting multiple runs of dedicated power to the home theater room. I have other financial priorities for the time being in my aging house in suburban Chicago. I have fluorescent and halogen lamps on the same circuit until then too. When connecting amplifiers to the Equi=tech and Balanced Power Technologies units, amplifier hum is non-existent except by putting my ear onto the amp chassis -- which kind of kills the soundstaging anyway
wink.gif

The PS Audio cannot handle my amplifier, but I switch between using it and not on my source components depending on what iterations I have going at any point in time.
The PS Audios effect is a subtle improvement over just balanced power, and this unit doesn't have multi-wave. I notice it more when feeding the Perpetual DACs and Preamp/Processor than I do feeding the DVD-A/DVD-V player, the Satellite Receiver and the tube based stereo preamplifier. I hear it mostly as a slight improvement to instrumental clarity than anything else.
The subjective loudness actually ties back to an objective improvement we've measured, which is a lowering of a components noise floor. This means there's less noise in the signal playback, which makes things subjectively louder to our ears.
On the other hand, in my system, I saw only one improvement with either the RGPC400s or RGPC1200s. Amplifier transformer hum was reduced by about 5dB as measured by the Radio Shack SPL meter. That was it.
At various times as samples came and went I had:
B&K Reference 30 Preamp/Processor
Manley Labs Purist Stereo Preamplifier
Manley Labs Neo-Classic 250 amplifiers
Aragon 8008x3B power amplifier
Bryston 4B power amplifier
Onkyo DV-S939 DVD-A/DVD-V player
Camelot Technologies Roundtable DVD Player
Acoustat Spectra 22 Electrostatic Loudspeakers
Mitsubishi WS-55805 HDTV set
Von Scheikert Tower of Power subwoofer.
So in my experience, go for a balanced power transformer first, before any other power tweak if you want the best bang/buck from your investment.
In the end, you have to decide with your own ears, brain and wallet what the right solution is for you.
Regards,
------------------
John Kotches
Contributing Writer
Link Removed

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Thanks Herb. I've definintely heard of the show, but I've never been.
I guess I should be ashamed of myself
redface.gif

------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks