What's new

Monster AVS 2000 & HTS 5100 (1 Viewer)

john.michael

Agent
Can someone tell me what is the difference between this two products. Should they be used together or not?

A voltage stabilizer (AVS 2000) should not also protect against surges?

Also, should an UPS be conected befor or after those equipments?

Thanks!

JM

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
The Monster HTS5100 is a Stage 4 Power conditioner/Surge protector.

The Monster AVS2000 is a Voltage Regulator that maintains a 120v +/- 1%.

The HTS5100 would be plugged into the AVS2000. I wouldn't use a UPS with either. It wouldn't have enough battery power to sustain a Hometheater if the power went out. Though it would give you enough time to shut everything down.

Kevin

john.michael

Agent
Kevin,

Thanks for your input.

The idea is to have enough power in the UPS to shut everything down properly and allow the projector fan to do its job.

On the AVS 2000, isn't it also a surge protector (making the HTS 5100 superfluous)?

JM

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Not according to the blurb from Monster.

Are you having massive power fluctuations that are causing you to investigate this product?

If you've got your own home, then a superior approach to surge protection is to have a whole house unit installed and then just use nominally sized units wherever you need a little redundancy.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

John, the idea of using a UPS to allow the fan to cool the bulb makes sense. Only thing I would suggest is make sure the UPS you get generates a Pure AC sign wave out of the unit. Last thing you need is for it to mess with your PQ. I would suggest you also only have the projector plugged into the UPS and make sure it's VA rating is enough to power the projector. As far as the AVS2000 goes it isn't classified as a surge protector and Monster suggests matching it with one. Now you can go the Monster route or look into other manufacturers when it comes to the surge protector. Tripp-Lite also offers voltage regulator and so does Belkin. Prices are a bit more concervative than Monster. I've had a AVS2000 the last 6mths and it does what is advertised. At times I've seen it added back 10-12v, though on average it add back 6-8v while watching movies.

Kevin

john.michael

Agent
Chu Gai,

I read your great post on whole house surge protection. Yes, I have big (and I mean BIG) power fluctuations. Some times I even lose 1 phase of my 3 phase electrical supply. Marjor browwn outs and some black outs.

The truth is that I do not own my house. However, I am will to install a Leviton 3 phase surge protector near the dedicated load box of my Home theater (is this waht you mean?). The cost is about US$ 250 and seems reasonable given the investment in HT equipment that I am making.

Best Regartds,

JM

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
That's the price you pay john.michael for all those babes wearing next to nothing at the beach :D

FWIW, over on the AVS Forum (another website) there's a fellow by the name of Larry Fine whose an electrician. His advise is very practical and you might want to bounce some ideas off of him.

john.michael

Agent
Thanks Chu Gai. I know AVS and like a lot. Just sent a message to Larry.

JM

PS: They are gorgeous and they are wearing next to nothing.;)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Like I don't know :frowning: Send some pics and break my heart already. Larry's a good man who knows his stuff when it comes to electricity and you can bounce your thoughts off of him and come to your own informed opinion. Best of luck in straightening it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks