What's new

Monster Amps (1 Viewer)

Corey_ Williams

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone had any experience with Monster Amps or read any reviews on them?

I am considering purchasing their 3 channel amp.

Corey_ Williams

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone heard a demo of them?

I have found a great deal on them for $1500. on the net. The origanal price is $3000.

I am thinking about pulling the trigger.

:confused:

Brent_S

Second Unit
Didn't realize Monster made amps, now. It's certainly pretty and has some impressive specifications.

In searching for a review, I actually found a place offering it for $1300. Don't see any reviews though...either Monster doesn't have enough confidence to submit it for review, nobody's interested, or they expect the Monster name alone to sell it.

Why a 3 channel amp?

Three of the Outlaw mono-blocks would only set you back $921, shipping included. The Outlaw 7500 gets you 5 channels for $1500. I'm sure there are any number of other well regarded amplifers that can get you 3 channels or more for $1500ish, think Adcom, Rotel, NAD, Parasound, etc. Ebay would probably yield a few high quality offerings as well.

wbs

Corey_ Williams

Stunt Coordinator
Brent,

How does outlaw & adcom amps compare to paround halo amps?

I have considered audiogon or ebay, but I am concerned about warranty protection.

Brent_S

Second Unit
I've never heard a Parasound amp, but from everything I've read, I'd expect good things.

I'm generally in the camp that believes any well designed amplifier operating comfortably within its spec limits sounds pretty much the same as any other similarly put together amp. I chose my 10+ year old Adcom b/c I thought it sounded slightly better than the similarly priced Rotel that I was comparing a/b using the same speakers and preamp. However, levels weren't objectively matched so any differences I heard could have been completely subjective. The Adcom did weigh a bit more and was spec'd with a bit more power...subtle design differences that could contribute to a perceived sonic distinction.

A friend has one of the older Outlaw 5 channel amps, don't know the model number, probably from their 1st generation line. We use the same preamp and different model speakers from the same manufacturer. I'd have to say I enjoy both systems equally...of course, aural memory being as short as it is, who knows how each system would compare if you could somehow walk back and forth between each.

If I were shopping today, I'd have to put Outlaw at the top of a very short list. It doesn't hurt my feelings that all but their monoblock is also still built here in the USA.

Amps are probably one of the safer components to buy used. Just try to get a vibe from your seller regarding trust. My NAD two channel amp was purchased used as was my buddy's Outlaw. I've been using the NAD for sub duty for nearly 12 years now; he's been running the Outlaw for 5+ years...don't know how long either was used by the previous owners.

wbs

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Haven't read any reviews of the Monster's, but IMO, they are not nice looking amps. :) And ... maybe there's a reason why they can be had so cheaply now.

Acurus used to make 3 channel amps, the 100x3, 200x3, and A200x3, but they aren't made anymore. Acurus used to made by Mondial Designs, who also made Aragon. Good amps.

All the other ones mentioned are good ones too IMO: Rotel, NAD, Adcom, and Outlaw is a really good value for the money, Parasound, etc. I also like Anthem.

scott>c

Second Unit
I recently purchased the 3 channel monster amp. Very,very impressed so far with this amp. Has great looks and seems very well built. Weighs over 90lbs and sounds fantastic!!! The power meters on the front are fun to watch and very educational as to how much power u`r supposedly using. They can also be shut off so not destract u while watching movies. Thank god because they really will!!!

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I'll second that opinion on the Monster amp. I am not a big Monster fan but these amps are awesome. I wouldn't get one for the $3000 list price but for a $1000 shipped from ebay they can't be beat IMO. I have owned several amps over the past 5 years(had more amps in my rack than i care to remember) and the Monster trounces them. Very detailed. I thought my Rotel RMB 1075 sounded good but it couldn't match the Monster (i don't really expect it to since it retails for much less). My main point is that if you are in the market for an amp to run the front three speakers in your HT, then you will be hard pressed to top the Monster MPA 3250 for the $$$(or a good deal more $ for that matter). Transient response and power reserves are superb. Each channel has it's own massive torroidal transformer(i took the front plate off for a look). BTW, i think it is pretty darn good looking. But that's just my opinion. :)

scott>c

Second Unit
Corey, I personally wouldn`t hesitate buying another for my rears. This amp is really in another league. The more I listen to it the more I love it. Ive used carver and currently have the Sherwood Newcastle A-965 for my surrounds(also a very nice amp). My friend bought his 1st and I was totally trashing Monsters products. After I heard his I had to have one!!!!

Brent_S

Second Unit
Speaking of the S-N A-965 amp. The Boston Acoustics branded version is available for $745 @ Onecall and $800 at AudioAdvisor. Anyone looking for a deal on an amp will be hard pressed to better.

wbs

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I keep reading good things on the 2 channel Monster amps,just want to know how do they compare to the carvers or aragon,acurus 2 channel amps in the 250watts per channel at 8 ohm power amps?

phongp

Auditioning
Real Name
phong
I have the questiom about the monster MPA 5150ss I play with B&W DM604 s3 when i put hight volume why the shutoff then turn back?? please I need you guy help what the problem thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks