"Monsoon Wedding" Not Anamorphic!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig S, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I can't believe there hasn't been any discussion of this yet, but a search turned up nothing, so...
    Glenn "DVD Savant" Erickson has just published his review of the upcoming Universal DVD of Mira Nair's wonderful Monsoon Wedding, and it is apparently non-anamorphic. [​IMG] This is confirmed by DVD File's review. To add insult to injury, the disc has a list price of $32.95!
    I thought we had won this particular battle long ago. Oh well, next Tuesday is going to be VERY expensive and this is now one less disc to buy... [​IMG]

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

[​IMG]
    Just cancelled my preorder and put it in my Netflix queue. I'll watch it, but I won't buy it.

3. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

4. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

yup,

watching it now.
    but the transfer is good for letterbox, and you should pick it up.

a good movie. don't deny yourselves.

I can't wait for BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM!

5. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

Very odd, considering the R2 version IS anamorphic. How hard could it have been for Universal to do?

6. andrew markworthy

Yes, it's a shame it isn't anamorphic (the R2 version, as already mentioned, is, and to add insult to injury, was released months ago).

However, I personally regard anamorphic releases, along with extras, as icing on the cake. Sure, a well-produced DVD is an excellent thing, and simple pride in a job well done should be sufficient motivation for companies to get things right in this regard. But if a movie's good, it's worth buying regardless of anything else. And if you watch something just for its surface appearance, then this is no better than losers with (over-) expensive hi-fi listening to crap music 'because the production's so good'. Is anyone seriously arguing that an anamorphic release of a third-rate movie is better than a non-anamorphic release of something of the calibre of Monsoon Wedding?

So please, don't cancel orders - this is a great film, and better than anything that mainstream Hollywood is likely to release this year.

7. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

I canceled my order when I found out that the title was going to be released without 16x9 enhancement not because it lessens the quality of the film, but because I don't believe that Universal deserves my money for treating this title in this fashion.

I plan on treating Universal, with respect to this title, the same way I did Disney ( during their earlier DVD release policy of not supporting 16x9 enhancement. ) Rather than purchase a new copy, and giving Universal another sale; I'll eventually purchase a used copy some day in the future.

Presentation quality is important, and certainly is a factor in the Home Theater equation. But I tend to agree that presentation will only take you so far, and that a film will predominately succeed or fail on its own merits, assuming a watchable transfer.

- Walter.

8. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I agree that this is a wonderful film (I saw it in the theater earlier this year), but the price Universal is asking for a non-anamorphic transfer is ridiculous. I refuse to pay it. There's no excuse at this point for a new film to be non-anamorphic. And Monsoon Wedding is not an obscure film - this was a bonafide arthouse hit and is the highest-grossing Indian film ever in the U.S..
    I'll probably pick it up if and when Universal reduces the price in the future.

9. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I don't mind that the transfer is non-anamorphic, so long as it still looks good. But what does puzzle me is the $32.95 price tag coming from Universal. Is this a sly way of trying to slowly inch up to rental pricing on non-blockbuster films? Or do they simply feel that those who actually have some taste and standards in what movies the choose to purchase, should be penalized?
    Seems like the kind of thing I would expect from The Mouse [​IMG]
    Oh well, Best Buy will probably be selling it in the low 20's anyhow [​IMG]

10. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

11. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

Is the commentary on the R2 disc the same as the R1? I'm assuming they are but then again they are from different distributors........

12. Phil Kim

Phil Kim Stunt Coordinator

13. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian

14. andrew markworthy

15. Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen Second Unit

Please explain something to me: With a 16:9 set playing an anamorphic disc of a widescreen movie, you "zoom in" to eliminate the black bars? By doing so, do you lose any part of the image?

16. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

17. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

18. andrew markworthy

19. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

20. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

FYI, this will be an advertised "low price" at Circuit City which means it will probably sell for $19.99 which is what other recent Universal 32.95 "low price" advertised titles sold for the first week (such as Hollywood Ending).

I can't wait to see it again and it's worth $20 to me, anamorphic or not. I heard the director commentary track is outstanding.