What's new

Monsoon Wedding - A must see for fans of good cinema! (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I liked it a lot though I didn't love it. It's a solid family drama with several touching moments. A very enjoyable film.
Seth expressed my opinion well. I think it's a very well done movie, and thoroughly enjoyable. "Amelie" is the only other foreign film I've seen this year, and I prefer it; but I think many people will fall in love with "Monsoon Wedding."
What I liked best is the richly complex characters and dynamic family interactions. And the over-arching theme of "love is worth fighting for."
Enjoyable, insightful, and recommended. :emoji_thumbsup:

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Dave,

Did you see the film in Rochester? If so, what theater is the film screening at?

Thanks

Sanjay

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sanjay - yes I did. It is showing at "The Little" this week only! If you are in Rochester and want to see it, you need to go this week. (This info is according to my roommate who arranged this little excursion.)

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Thanks, actually I needed the info for a friend who lives in Elmira, since he was interested in seeing it. As for me I saw the film a while back in New Delhi, India which is where I am located. Rochester, NY would be quite a trip to see a film. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
:) I couldn't figure out why someone with "New Delhi" as their home would be asking about Rochester movie theaters. "The Little" is in downtown Rochester; a bit of a drive from Elmira, but I'm sure your friend could make it if he wanted.
Back to the movie: Assuming you're Indian, can you comment on how "real" the movie feels from an Indian perspective. Do you think the characters reflect a section of India (in terms of attitudes, education, affluence, family dynamics, etc.)?
My friend and I were wondering how the felt to a native? I know watching American dramas, some feel more believeable than others.
Thanks.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
The film is almost a mirror to a certain section of Indian society & culture. Primarily the film is reflective of the 'Punjabi' upper middle class, from Delhi. Punjabi's are people from the state of Punjab in northern India. Although, Delhi like most metropolitan cities elsewhere in the world is a mixture of people from all over the country, there is a very heavy presence of Punjabi's here due to it's proximity to that state and other historical reasons. Thus modern day Delhi has a heavy influence of Punjabi culture but at the same time the city has a distinct culture of its own. Something like New York city, which has people from all over the US and the World, which helps in giving NY city its distinct identity. The film quite brilliantly and accurately portrays the lifestyle of the average upper middle class family from Delhi. In fact it is so well portrayed that at times you are deceived into actually believing that you are watching no more than a home video of a family you know so well. There are actually people here who did not care too much for the film, as they commented that it just seemed like watching a documentary or a wedding video of their own family.

Sanjay

Member since 1997

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sanjay - Thanks :) That helps me better understand (and appreciate) the movie. I've emailed your comments to a couple of friends as well.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, the movie got extremely good reviews in the UK as well. I managed to miss it at the cinema, but it's out on DVD in R2 in a couple of months.

Indian cinema tends to get rather more mention in Britain than in the States, I guess simply becuase there's a higher proportion of folks from the Indian subcontinent living in Britain.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Indian cinema tends to get rather more mention in Britain than in the States, I guess simply becuase there's a higher proportion of folks from the Indian subcontinent living in Britain.
While the higher numbers of people of Indian origin is one reason. Another reason I think is also because of the special relationship of India with that of the British (empire). The British did consider India it's 'Jewel In The Crown'.

Sanjay

Member since 1997

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Sanjay, I wasn't going to mention the British Empire bit - as a Brit I'm rather ashamed of our colonial past (okay, Britain was 'better' than a lot of other colonial powers, but that isn't saying much).

As you correctly say, regardless of the numbers of Brits of Indian sub-continent origin, we would have a greater interest in India, because, as you rightly say, India was considered the Jewel in the Crown. Indeed, we get a lot more programmes about India than any other 'eastern' country. It's interesting that when the Queen Mother died recently, the fact that she was the last Empress of India was brought to the fore.

Regardless of the success of Monsoon Wedding (though it's undoubtedly helped), we are getting an upsurge of interest in Indian cinema in this country. E.g. this month on DVD we've got 'Mother India' coming out, and of course the Bollywood hits are available here.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Regardless of the success of Monsoon Wedding (though it's undoubtedly helped), we are getting an upsurge of interest in Indian cinema in this country.
You are right, off late there does seem to be an increase in interest in Indian cinema there. I guess some of it could be credited to the runaway success of a couple of Indian films this past yr and their good showing in the UK top 10 charts. I guess with Andrew Lloyd Weber's 'Bombay Dreams' opening this summer, one can only expect a further increase of interest.

Sanjay

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Curiously enough, having signed off last night, I picked up yesterday's copy of The [London] Times and there was an article on this summer's big new fashion - the Indian look!

Jodee

Screenwriter
I loved this movie--of course, after I asked the elderly couple sitting behind us to please stop reading the subtitles out loud! (Theater etiquette is at an all-time low.)
I bought the soundtrack and I'm really enjoying it. My husband & I eat Indian food 2-3 times a week, so I feel I am really getting into Indian culture.
I am thinking about decorating a room in my house with an Indian thtme. Some of those saris in the film were so beautiful! I'd love to take something like that and design a room around it, with those bright vibrant colors.
I can't wait for this to come out on DVD. I wonder if we will ever get a DVD release for Mississippi Masala as well?

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Weekly Box Office Reprt:

In it's 10th weekend of release 'MONSOON WEDDING' continued it's record breaking run at the US box office, grossing $724,658 from 239 screens at a healthy average of $3,032 per screen. The collections are down just 1% from the preceeding weekend and the total gross now stands at $8,128,796 At it's current pace the film should enter the 'All Time' US top 10 foreign language films in 2 to 3 weeks.

Sanjay

Member since 1997

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
All good things must come to an end and so must Monsoon Wedding's record run at the US box office. Well the run is not quite over yet, but the decline seems to have begun. In it's 11th weekend of release, Monsoon Wedding grossed $593,527 down -18% over the previous weekend at an average of $2,337 from 254 screens. The film has now grossed a total of $8,991,903 which is enough to put it at number 10 in the All Time US Top Ten of Foreign Language Films. Although the collections have started receding, the film should comfortably be able to cross the $10 million milestone before its run at the US box office ends.
Sanjay
Member since 1997

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sanjay - did you friend out here in NY get to see Monsoon Wedding?

Anymore must-see Indian movies to keep on the look-out for?

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Yes, he was able to watch the film, although he watched it in NY city and not Rochester.
Lagaan which was nominated for a 'Best Foreign Language Film' Oscar this year is another good Indian film to see. Although the film was released to theaters in the US last yr, it was a limited release in niche theaters, targetted only at the Indian community in the US. Sony pictures is now re-releasing the film starting May 10th in LA & NY and then in a wider (albeit still limited) release in mainstream theatres in June accross the US.
Another Indian film to look out for is The Warrior a film recently purchased by Miramax for distribution in the US. The film has just been released in the UK and will make it to theaters in the US sometime later this yr.
PS: 'Lagaan' is already available on DVD & VHS from Columbia Pictures. I believe most of the 'Blockbuster' stores carry the title.
Sanjay
Member since 1997

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I finally got around to watching this film on DVD. It was pretty good. I think the best scene was the touching proposal by PK to Alice, that scene just evokes so much emotion in the scant moments it plays out from the previous scenes built by their own little story layered into the other 4 stories within the film.

Much of the film comes down to characters struggling to "do the right thing" once revelation of the past sees the light of day. The film is very poignant and highlighted with a lot of energy and spirit, the importance of family, giving us a glimpse of a docudrama of the planning of a wedding in New Dehli, while retaining the zest for the promise of new life offered in marriage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks