Monopoly Tycoon - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianB, Feb 14, 2002.

1. BrianB

Just arrived in the mail after I picked it up for (very!)cheap. I've seen nothing but good reviews for it... But I've never read/seen any real 'hands on' thoughts on it from ordinary punters.

So, anyone here got it? What you think? Live up to the 'hype'?

2. Iain Lambert

I tried the demo, decided that I was even worse at it than I am at the Sims or Sim City 3000, and uninstalled, sorry. For some reason I just have a gaming blind spot when it comes to being able to play resource management games. I did seem quite fun as these things go however, and the funky 3D camera struck the right balance between looking cool and being useable.

3. Mark Evans

Well, conversely, I only played the demo as well, but utterly loved it. I haven't bought the game itself only because I'm currently saving up for a GameCube to call my own.
    It was great fun, and if I'd had enough people around who owned it to play multiplayer with, it would've been a no-brainer. It was like SimCity, but less annoying, and like Monopoly, without the tedium. Brilliant design, and there was something thrilling about building a shop next to somebody else's offering the exact same services and then undercutting them horribly [​IMG]

4. Shayne Lebrun

It's actually pretty boring, I think. Figure out needs, fill needs, make money, move on. Bleh.

5. BrianB

Well, it sounds okay for a fun multiplayer game for me & my wife. Thanks for the opinions, guys.

6. Iain Lambert

No need for for a conversely, really. I thought it looked really good as well, but despite my repeated attempts I'm still terrible at playing these games. It doesn't mean trying is without fun though...

7. BrianB

Well, tried it multiplayer with my wife last night. Started at about 8:30, decided to take a break - clock said 1am. Ouch [​IMG]
    I can see why it wouldn't appeal to a lot of people... We enjoyed it - mostly treating it as a 'sandbox' rather than direct competition.

8. Paul_D