Monopole and Dipole...what does that mean?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom-G, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    I've been reading about different speakers and I come across these two terms (monopole and dipole) and I'm wondering what exactly does that mean and how does this come into play when choosing speakers?

Thanks!

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Here you go. You didn't ask about bipoles, but I included the information anyway.

Monopole:

Radiates sound only out of the front of the speaker. This is the usual radiation pattern of a dynamic loudspeaker.

Dipole:

Radiates sound out of the front and back of the speaker. The front wave and the back wave are 180 degrees out of phase. This can be accomplished by using a planar radiator (Electrostatic, Ribbon or Planar Magnetic driver) or by using two identical drivers, wired 180 degrees out of phase to each other.

Some companies also build dipoles with two sets of drivers mounted at 90 degrees to each other, and wired out of phase for surround speaker utilization.

Bipole:

Radiates sound out of the front and back of the speakers. The front wave and back wave are in phase. This is accomplished with two dynamic drivers.

Regards,

3. Dan Steffen

Dan Steffen Stunt Coordinator

John beat me to it. I was looking for a picture to help explain. The picture that I saw previously made it clear as night and day. If I find it I will post it

4. Brian Glaeske

Brian Glaeske Stunt Coordinator

Does bipole always mean "Radiates from the front and back", or does the term also mean "Radiates in different directions in phase"?

Brian G.

5. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Brian,

I haven't seen any bipoles that don't radiate out the front and back, but it is certainly possible to manufacture them.

I prefer natural dipole radiators, in other words Planars myself.

Regards,