1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Monophonic Sound: How to achieve it for cd playback?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carrol M, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Carrol M

Carrol M Stunt Coordinator

Call me quirky, call me a fossil, call me what you will, I prefer music in mono. I always have. I always felt that it was so much more warm, bouncy and punchy.

Now my question, I'm interested in what the best way to achieve mono sound would be, for playing my cd's.

Currently I have a Sony Hi-Fi cd player (SONY CMT-EX1). I've been pretty happy with it for some time, but I really would like to be able to hear my cd's broken down into a mono presentation.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I should go about this?

Thanks!
    Carrol

2. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

You could just use a connected resistor bridge to create a summing circuit and connect that to both of the amplifier inputs.

3. Mark Tranchant

Mark Tranchant Stunt Coordinator

Agreed. Build a simple box with 2 RCA sockets in and 2 out. Connect all of the earths of the RCAs together. Connect two 10k resistors in series, and solder them across the centres of the input RCAs. Solder two wires to the join between the two resistors and solder one to the centre of each output RCA.

You may want to experiment with resistor values. You're looking for a value that is high enough not to load your CD player outputs, yet low relative to the input impedance of your amp.