What's new

Monologue episodes (1 Viewer)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I was looking for a list of television episodes that consist entirely of a monologue. Although there are numerous examples of lengthy speeches, and even whole scenes, in which one character alone speaks, I could only think of two one-person shows: "Hawkeye" on M*A*S*H and "The Analyst" on Maude. Interestingly, I think they aired only a couple of months apart. The former is out on DVD, while the latter is still unreleased.

Can anyone think of others?

Thanks.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
It doesn't entirely meet the criteria but there was a episode of "All in the Family" where Archie gets locked in the basement while everyone is out of town. Basically a one man show for Carroll O'Connor with other characters only at the very beginning & very end. Very funny episode (he gets toasted on a bottle of scotch) and great work from O'Connor.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Yes!! "Archie in the Cellar" is a great show, and he is terrific in it. (Polish vodka, I believe.) Similarly, "Edith's Final Respects" is a great partial monologue showcase for Jean Stapleton.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Thought of two more myself...Mickey Rooney in The Twilight Zone's "Last Night of a Jockey" and Arte Johnson in Night Gallery's "The Flip Side of Satan". (Agnes Moorehead in "The Invaders" is the inverse, as she is the only actor seen in the show, although she does not speak and there are voiceovers by others.)

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
It's worth mentioning Moorehead's famous one-woman radio performance in "Sorry Wrong Number" too, she repeated it a number of times. I've always preferred it to the movie, much as I like Stanwyck.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Alex on Family Ties
Ann Romano talking to the bedroom mirror on One Day at a Time

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator
There is at least one (maybe two) episodes of the great british sitcom "One Foot In The Grave" that consist entirely of just the main character, Victor, doing a monologue for the whole episode. Unfortunately, I can't remember which episode(s), or if they can be found on the current Region 1 dvd's (although all episodes can be found in Region 2). The one that I remember is just Victor alone in his living room, and it is great, although I have not seen it in years. I know I didn't give much info, but hopefully it's enough to find it if you're interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks