What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
When Monoprice announced that they had released a set of compact home theater speakers under the Monogram brand, and that they were THX-certified, I was eager to give them a try. The set arrived in a large and rather heavy box, with 5 satellite speakers measuring roughly as a 6-inch cube (6” x 6.3” x 5.9”) weighing 4.2 pounds each and an 8” downfiring subwoofer measuring approx. 12.5” x 13.5” x 13.5” and weighing 19.8 pounds. All of the speakers have a flat black finish, and the satellites have an optional fabric grill.
Sub-front-300x225.webp
Front view of M518HT subwoofer
Sub-rear-300x225.webp
Rear view of M518HT subwoofer
Satellite-front-300x225.webp
M518H Satellite speaker
At first glance, I was a bit disappointed in the lack of mounting screw holes in the satellites...

Continue reading...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I guess I don't know why cubes would need a "dedicated" center speaker. Usually that's just because it's horizontally aligned instead of vertical. With cubes, there's no need. Am I missing something?

And the wonky crossovers from auto calibration seems like a fault with Audyssey rather than the speakers.

The lack of a 1/4-20 thread on the back does seem baffling.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I guess I don't know why cubes would need a "dedicated" center speaker. Usually that's just because it's horizontally aligned instead of vertical. With cubes, there's no need. Am I missing something?
I guess I'm just used to a center speaker looking like a center speaker.
And the wonky crossovers from auto calibration seems like a fault with Audyssey rather than the speakers.
Possibly, but when I re-installed my Energy speakers today, they all registered with crossovers at 90Hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayBluey
Recent bookmarks