What's new

monoblocks (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Chin

Second Unit
I currently have maggie 2.5r as my mains.
I want to upgrade to 3.6r maggies but I hear they need more power. I am using a Nakamichi AV-10 receiver.
I ordered 2 Marantz MA-700 Monoblocks to drive the mains.
I was wondering if this will greatly improve the sound in my mains in my system, even without the upgrade.
------------------
Link Removed
[Edited last by Jeffrey Chin on September 28, 2001 at 10:46 AM]

ChrisA

Second Unit
I cannot imagine being without monoblocks. They are the essence of ultimate performance. Marantz or especially, the Bryston 7BST's are great monoblock choices. The Bryston 7BST will give you more performance and more headroom, but in either case, it is a worthwhile improvement. There is nothing worse than a straining, clipping amp. You should still upgrade the Maggies when you get a chance... only then will you be satisfied, for at least a little while
wink.gif

------------------
Link Removed
[Edited last by ChrisA on September 28, 2001 at 08:33 AM]

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I have the maggie 1.4's and I was using my Denon 3300 to power them. I then added a HK 5800 5 channel amp (~150 watts in stereo) which greatly improved the sound. I recently purchased a Musical Fidelity class A amp that has really improved the soundstage so in short yes adding some real amps will significantly improve the sound you're getting. BTW the 3.6's are amazing speakers I envy you.
------------------
http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

Thanks,
So if I want DTS ES discrete or THX EX surround in a 6.1 channel setup...if I only use 1 center channel rear, I would purchase 6 monoblocks?
And the sub itself would be powered so no worries there?
6 200 watt per channel monoblocks would probably destroy my apartment complex, but man it would sound sweet.
Rich

Jeffrey,
You're the man! How would you address say having the Denon 5800 (for example only) and having the dual rear center channel speakers? Would you add another monoblock?
Rich

Jeffrey Chin

Second Unit
Rich,
I am just making the transition to separates (monoblocks) myself. I don't think you need monoblocks or a separate amp to drive the rears unless you REALLY need the power which I doubt. The mains might need more power depending on the spkrs you use and maybe the sub.
------------------
MY PHAT CRIB PIMPIN HT SETUP

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator
Oh please, please, please do NOT use the MA-700's with the 3.6's. For the 2.5's maybe, but not the 3.6's. I've got Maggie 1.6's and 3.6's (2 separate systems) and drive both with Bryston (7B-ST mono's driving the 3.6's). I tried the MA-700's once with the both the 1.6's and 3.6's and was not impressed. The 3.6's definitely deserve better. To put it in perspective, the Bryston 7B-ST's put out a tested 870W into 4 ohms, and I HAVE been able to drive them to thier limits when running the 3.6's full-range. I now have a pair of Vandersteen 2Wq's that relieve the 7B's from the lowest frequencies and the only thing that gives out first ar my ears!
------------------
Q

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Where were you able to order MA-700s from?
I had money down at my local B&M a month ago, they called me and told me they are no longer available...
Let me know where you able to find them, if possible.
Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks