1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

monoblocks

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Chin, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

I currently have maggie 2.5r as my mains.
    I want to upgrade to 3.6r maggies but I hear they need more power. I am using a Nakamichi AV-10 receiver.
    I ordered 2 Marantz MA-700 Monoblocks to drive the mains.
    I was wondering if this will greatly improve the sound in my mains in my system, even without the upgrade.
    ------------------
    MY PHAT CRIB PIMPIN HT SETUP
    [Edited last by Jeffrey Chin on September 28, 2001 at 10:46 AM]

2. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

I cannot imagine being without monoblocks. They are the essence of ultimate performance. Marantz or especially, the Bryston 7BST's are great monoblock choices. The Bryston 7BST will give you more performance and more headroom, but in either case, it is a worthwhile improvement. There is nothing worse than a straining, clipping amp. You should still upgrade the Maggies when you get a chance... only then will you be satisfied, for at least a little while [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Pictures: The Worm Hole Theater featuring the Black Hole Subs and Death Star Platform
    [Edited last by ChrisA on September 28, 2001 at 08:33 AM]

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I have the maggie 1.4's and I was using my Denon 3300 to power them. I then added a HK 5800 5 channel amp (~150 watts in stereo) which greatly improved the sound. I recently purchased a Musical Fidelity class A amp that has really improved the soundstage so in short yes adding some real amps will significantly improve the sound you're getting. BTW the 3.6's are amazing speakers I envy you.
    ------------------
    http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

4. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

TGIF
    [Edited last by Jeffrey Chin on September 28, 2001 at 10:46 AM]

5. Richard Fairbrother

So if you run 8ohm speakers, your wattage is 150 per channel or per monoblock?
    Rich

6. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

not 150
    200 @ 8ohms
    300 @ 4ohms
    you add another 50% to wattage of 8ohms to get 4ohm wattage
    ------------------

7. Richard Fairbrother

Thanks,
    So if I want DTS ES discrete or THX EX surround in a 6.1 channel setup...if I only use 1 center channel rear, I would purchase 6 monoblocks?
    And the sub itself would be powered so no worries there?
    6 200 watt per channel monoblocks would probably destroy my apartment complex, but man it would sound sweet.
    Rich

8. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

9. Richard Fairbrother

Jeffrey,
    You're the man! How would you address say having the Denon 5800 (for example only) and having the dual rear center channel speakers? Would you add another monoblock?
    Rich

10. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

Rich,
    I am just making the transition to separates (monoblocks) myself. I don't think you need monoblocks or a separate amp to drive the rears unless you REALLY need the power which I doubt. The mains might need more power depending on the spkrs you use and maybe the sub.
    ------------------

11. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator

Oh please, please, please do NOT use the MA-700's with the 3.6's. For the 2.5's maybe, but not the 3.6's. I've got Maggie 1.6's and 3.6's (2 separate systems) and drive both with Bryston (7B-ST mono's driving the 3.6's). I tried the MA-700's once with the both the 1.6's and 3.6's and was not impressed. The 3.6's definitely deserve better. To put it in perspective, the Bryston 7B-ST's put out a tested 870W into 4 ohms, and I HAVE been able to drive them to thier limits when running the 3.6's full-range. I now have a pair of Vandersteen 2Wq's that relieve the 7B's from the lowest frequencies and the only thing that gives out first ar my ears!
    ------------------
    Q

12. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Where were you able to order MA-700s from?
    I had money down at my local B&M a month ago, they called me and told me they are no longer available...
    Let me know where you able to find them, if possible.
    Jeremy