Mono sound on digital cable question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WillNE, Jan 29, 2003.

1. WillNE

WillNE Agent

Hi. I have digital cable and I have noticed that most of the analog channels are in mono sound instead of stereo. Most of the local channels like NBC, ABC, and CBS are in stereo along with VH1, and CMT. Also the digital channels like HBO. Other than those channels everything is pretty much in mono like Disney, MTV, Discovery, and even WB. I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100 Connected to a Pioneer VSX-D811s via digital coaxial cable and rca stereo cables for the analog channels. I was wondering if anyone knows why this is or if they have the same problem? Thanks.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

You're not likely to get useful responses without the following information:

1. Your location
    2. Provider of your digital cable service
    3. Make and model of your cable box
    4. Your audio system and how the cable box is connected to it.

M.

3. WillNE

WillNE Agent

Anyone???

4. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

You're not likely to get useful responses from:
    1. Your cable company.
    2. Me

I tried to get one from them and they came up with nothing. I could not even get them to admit that most of my channels are in mono! They tried to tell me I had it hooked up wrong!

(Hmm? Screw the cable into the box? Is that how I hook it up?)

By the way I am in the suburbs of Chicago and my provider is AT&T Broadband.

5. Michael Reuben

It's not the cable box. I used to have the same model (I now have the HD version). If it receives stereo, it outputs stereo. Sounds like an issue with your cable provider.

M.

6. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Quite a few of my Charter digital cable stations are in stereo but on three or four of them only the left channel is output or the sound is very low. "Digital Cable" was so rushed in light of the threat that satellite presented that the compression they used is hilariously high and audio & video artifacts abound. I hope to get satellite soon but I have to admit that standard cable's ability to be piped to many rooms and the Internet pipeline is keeping me tethered to the ground for now.

7. WillNE

WillNE Agent

Does anyone have a list of TV channels that are broadcast in stereo or know where I can find this information? I don't need to know about the digital channels like all of the Discovery channels or HBO's or anything just the analog channels. Thanks.

8. Michael Reuben

Most TV channels are in stereo (at least). But that doesn't mean your cable company transmits them in stereo. Again, you're not likely to get meaningful answers unless you specify your location and your cable provider.

I'm merging this thread with your existing cable thread.

M.

9. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Just to be clear, in order to receive stereo TV sound (assuming my cable provider -- Time Warner Cable -- transmits it), all that is required are sthe standard red/white RCA connectors, correct? Thanks!

10. Michael Reuben

11. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

If you get stereo on some channels, that means your equipment and connectors are OK. Then the only plausible reasons you don't get stereo on other channels is that (a) the station doesn't broadcast in stereo, which is not that likely nowadays; and (b) the cable company is not transmitting the stereo signal, probably because they're compressing the channel.

//Ken

12. WillNE

WillNE Agent

If I have my reciever on Prologic 2 and the sound source is in stereo what speakers should have sound coming out of them? Also what speakers should have sound coming out of them if the channel is in mono? Thanks.

13. Al Shing

Al Shing Stunt Coordinator

My receiver (Yama RX-V1300) shows what speakers are in use for any input signal. It shows 2 speakers for all analog and DD2.0 channels, and 5.1 speakers for all DD5.1 channels. For Newsworld International, it shows only the center speaker, which would indicate that it is mono, albeit a digital one.

One way I would suggest checking on your channels is to check the RF signal with a tuner that has an MTS decoder, such as a VCR. If all analog channels are in MTS stereo than perhaps the MTS decoder in your cable box is defective. At the least, you could record which channels are in MTS stereo and which are not.

14. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    I have Cox digital in Orange County. Some of my basic cable channels are stereo while others are mono. I get TNT and FX in mono (pissed me off to no end when TNT had the B5 reruns) while Discovery Channel is stereo. [​IMG]

15. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer