mono-amp at X power or bi-amp at half X power?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by alfredo, Oct 1, 2003.

1. alfredo

alfredo Auditioning

What would be a better config to achieve best 7.1 HT AND stereo music performance?:

a) To use a couple of Rotel 1095, that is 10 x 2watt total, wich would permit me to bi-amp the 2 main fronts and the center?.

OR

b) To use one Rotel 1095(5 x 200watt): 1 for the center and 4 for surrounds + a Rotel 1090 (2 x 380watt) for the fronts.

In other words, would my Studio 100 'digms main fronts sound better being powered by one channel of the 1090 (380w) or bi-amped by 2 channels (2x200=400w) of the 1095?

What do you guys think?

Thanks again in davance

alfredo

2. Kevin_R_H

Kevin_R_H Stunt Coordinator

Alfredo,

I asked a similar question to Brian Cheney, who makes VMPS speakers. I was in the process of purchasing a pair of his speakers (RM40s). I had decided to power them with KORA tube amps. But KORA makes two versions of the amp I was enamored with, a 100W monoblock as well as a 50W stereoblock. I could either use two monoblocks (running them full-range), or two stereoblocks (biamping one channel on bass and one on the mids/highs).

So I asked Brian which would be "better" for his use with his speakers. He told me to go with the monoblocks, and run them full-range. Naturally, I have done no side by side comparisons to determine which would have been better. Who knows, maybe I would never be able to hear the difference.

But I made the easy decision to follow his advice. After all, they are his speakers. This doesn't neccesarily mean this would be the best solution for you in your situation. But I just wanted to relay my experience.

Good luck,
    Kevin

3. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Alfredo,
    Biamping with 2x100w will provide more output than a single 200w. This can be proven mathematically. However to do this requires an external active crossover network, and the ability to disable the speaker's internal crossover network. I noticed that the Paradigm Studio 100s use third-order filters. There aren't a lot of 3rd order active filter units out there (4th order LR is popular these days). You might be forced to build your own or have something custom designed.

This is an endeavour not to be taken lightly. The Paradigm passive crossover may include elements for frequency and phase shaping that are not obvious to the casual observer and not easily replicated with an active crossover.

So called "passive" biamping --with both amplifiers covering the full frequency range --is, in my opinion, of dubious benefit. I would definitely go with a single larger amplifier in that case.

4. alfredo

alfredo Auditioning

Kevin,Dave,

Many Thanks!!!!

Both comments aim in the same direction , so I'll just use the bigger mono-amp config....unless Paradigm or someone else offers me the technical solution for active bi-amping the studio 100's.

I will ask Paradogm. In the mean time ..does someone have any additional ideas on that?

thanks again

Alfredo