What's new

Monk Season 4 thread (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Yeah, Adrian "riding to the rescue" (as it were) was great. As for the relationships - I'm waiting for Adrian and his brother to duke it out over Natalie. ;) I just loved Adrian sitting outside of all places because the damned card was so annoying - but obviously being unable to throw it away or destroy it.

Very good stuff.

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

As I recall that was kind of a dead-end clue. Adrian got a piece of information that didn't obviously lead anywhere. At some point he will doubtless run across a six-fingered man who could plausibly be connected to Trudy's murder and at that point it will make sense for him to pursue the lead. But in the meantime, what is he supposed to do? Run an ad in the Examiner asking for information on a six-fingered man? How do you do that without tipping off your quarry?

The Trudy thing is one of those plot threads that an on-going TV series has to handle carefully. Unless it defines the show's format (the way Mrs. Kimble's murder and the hunt for the one-armed man defined The Fugitive) this kind of backstory element cannot be too prominent in too many episodes, and it can't go on forever.* At some point the producers are going to have to just solve Trudy's murder once and for all. Before they do that, they have to redefine Adrian himself, because "the guy with the murdered wife" was almost as much a part of his identity in the show as "the guy with OCD". I think they're in the process of doing this. (His closing Trudy's office - with Natalie's help - was an important step in that progression.)

Regards,

Joe

* TV series often start off with a "gimmick" or one story formula and then shift gears. In The Rockford Files Jim Rockford originally only worked on cases that had been officially closed by the police. Happy Days was supposed to be a 70s semi-spoof of 50s family sitcoms - but The Fonz turned into the break-out character and the show was soon "The Richie and Fonz Show", focusing mostly on their relationship those of their other friends, and less on the home. Crossing Jordan milked the mother's murder story for way too long and has essentially changed formats every year as it struggles to find an identity. Only Jill Hennesy's considerable appeal and a strong core supporting cast has kept that show going.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Joseph,
as long as we're analyzing the show, how do you think it will end?

Me, I think that Adrian will eventually get his badge back, solve Trudy's murder and possibly end up in a relationship with Natalie...possibly. He may never be cured of his OCD, one never really is as a friend of mine told me who has it and has been treated for it, but I think he'll reach a point where he'll be able to sufficiantly function in a manner that allows him to do the job again.

For me, the show has always been about a man who, upon his introduction in the pilot, has long since fallen and is in the midst of a terrible chapter in his life, and the show is basically about his getting back on his feet again one step at a time.

Indeed, we're seeing that already, he's done some things this season and last that I never would have thought he would do. That's why i'm in it, to see him improve himself, the OCD angle could get tired and very gimmicky if this weren't the case. I want him to end up in a place where he is happy again, that'll make the whole series worth while. :emoji_thumbsup:

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I think it is fairly clear that Adrian always had OCD, and always will, but that it simply became infinitely worse when Trudy died. The glimpses of his childhood and family make it clear that he was never entirely normal, but the fact that he functioned normally enough to be a street cop before rising to detective, and deal with something as inherently "messy" as marriage strongly suggest that while Trudy probably helped him deal with his condition, that it was also much more manageable while she was alive.

And yes, I do think the show almost have to become "the redemption of Adrian Monk" even if that isn't exactly the direction the producers originally intended. I hope Monk solves Trudy's murder long before he returns to the force, because I think that will come at the end of the series and I'd like to see it run for a good many years - more years than I think Trudy's murder can plausibly be left a mystery. But I don't think wrapping that up will "hurt" the show, because by then it will have become so much about Monk himself and his journey that the audience won't need the gimmick of the on-going mystery to stay interested in the show. I think Frank Capra defined the first ingerident of story that is going to appeal to a wide audience a long time ago, and I think it works as well for television as for films, "First, give them someone to like." Adrian is a likeable character, despite his quirks, made more likeable because Natalie and the others like him.

Actually if there is a weak link in the show right now it is Lt. Discher. There's nothing wrong with the actor, who is playing the character as written, but as the show moves further away from its slightly more cartoonish beginnings, Discher is the one character (or one charactrer slot) that hasn't been deepened and made more human. We've seen the Captain's wife, he's roomed with Monk, he's become more rounded. The broader Sharona and Benjy have been replaced with the warmer Natalie and Julie. But Discher has remained Discher, still more of a comedic device than a person. His "you never get used to it" riff reminded me strongly of Frank Burns saying things like "Irony sure can be ironic". And not in a good way. Since his flirtation/bickering with Sharona was ended by Bitty Schram's departure nobody seems to know quite what to do with the lieutenant except continue to have him be a much dimmer character than could conceivably hold such a job - which no longer works because the show now plays mostly straight and without the character exagerration that made him seem plausible at first.

Regards,

Joe

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Yeah, I believe he'll solve Trudy's murder first also, perhaps that may even be the catlyst for his return to duty somehow.

As for Lt. Discher, I like him, when it comes down to it he's a damn good cop and takes his job seriously, but I do wish more was done with him.

One thing that would really shake things up, and also make for one emotionally charged episode, is if Discher is killed in the line of duty. I don't want that to happen, but it would be interesting television.

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
Allow me to plunk my two pennies down...

Solving Trudy's murder will not cure Monk of his OCD. I think that if they allow the murder to be solved, Monk will be further frustrated over the fact that his OCD didn't suddenly go away and he'll have to face up to the fact that it has hindered him his entire life and he must finally face up to it.

As for Lt. Disher, I made the same comments to "de wife" the other night. She (as usual) thought I was nuts when I said he was being written like he's an ass. I wish they would give him just a little bit more intelligence than they are. It's a waste of a character.

And if you don't Natalie/Traylor, use your remote and move on to to wrestling.

;)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

He might be surprised that it doesn't get better, but I don't think he'd expect to suddenly be "cured". Monk has to be perfectly aware (intellectually) that he had OCD before he ever met Trudy and that it was interfering with his life in various ways since his childhood. So I don't think he'd see solving Trudy's murder as something that would or should dramatically improve that condition. Emotionally, of course, Monk doesn't think he has a problem at all. He thinks the way he reacts to the world is perfectly rational, even as he sees others behaving very differently and treating him as the abnormal one. So that's another reason I wouldn't expect him to have such expectations about the effect of solving Trudy's murder. In his heart of hearts he doesn't think he has a problem - so he wouldn't expect any external event to "solve" the problem he doesn't have. ;)

Regards,

Joe

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Regarding Disher: my wife and I have been saying for at least the last 2 seasons that the character has to go. Comic relief is one thing but that character is plain annoying. Even a normal level of "suspension of belief" doesn't make it remotely plausible that this guy could ever join a police force much less advance to a Lt. rank.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
I like Disher. But his character was definitely just used to be a nemesis to Sharona. She hasn't been gone that long, maybe they will find another niche for him. I hope they don't get rid of him. He's kind of cute.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I continue to be a fan of this show, but is it my imagination, or have the opening murders become much more violent and grapic this season?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Actually, the murders on the show have always had a bit of a mean streak to them, which i've always found to be a little odd and out of place. It's essentialy a comedy series, they don't need to be that violent IMO.

When that guy got his hand smashed in the car door
...OUCH!! :frowning:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Yes, even before this season, I've had that feeling. Still, I believe they have raised the bar for violence this season. I think this is the "CSI Effect".

The early seasons of "Crossing Jordan" didn't have that much gore, now they are trying to compete with CSI for blood and gore. Please don't go there, Monk.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I watched this for the first time on Friday as it's a favorite of a relative. It was absolutely hysterical. I was dying at the wine/feet scene. Anyway, I'll definitely try to watch it more often. :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Welcome aboard, Anthony! :emoji_thumbsup: ;)

I would recommend renting the first three seasons if you have the time, you missed many many great and funny moments. :laugh:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This episode was funny because of the "foot wine" and Monk getting drunk. Other than that, I thought the script or plot was weak.

A lesser Monk show is better than most others.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I agree that this was not one of the "stronger" Monk episodes but it did have its moments. My favorite one was when Monk apologized to the Bed & Breakfast owner for solving the "Mystery Weekend" puzzle in 12 minutes causing her to have to refund three day advances to all her guests.

In other words, if you liked what you saw in this week's episode you will love other episodes which, IMO, are usually much more detailed and interesting.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Yeah, I started to laugh just as soon as she mentioned mystery weekend. I knew it would be a short weekend with Monk around.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

For at least part of the episode, I kept suspecting that the events which were perplexing Monk (and making him -- and Natalie -- wonder if he really was crazy) were actually a setup staged by the inn owner, as a prank/revenge against Monk for the previous year's "Mystery Weekend" catastrophe...sort of another "Mystery Weekend" with him as the unwitting star.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
> For at least part of the episode, I kept suspecting that
> the events which were perplexing Monk...were actually a
> setup staged by the inn owner, as a prank/revenge against
> Monk for the previous year's "Mystery Weekend"
> catastrophe

I thought the same thing for the longest time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks