What's new

"Monk" s1 (R1) audio problems? (1 Viewer)

Holden Pike

Stunt Coordinator
Picked up the "Monk" season one DVD set today, and the first thing I popped in was disc four with the special features. Sadly, I seem to be experiencing some sort of audio problem: the music track on the special features is at normal levels, while the other tracks are barely audible, even with the volume cranked. I have two DVD players, a Pioneer DVL-909 and a Sampo DVE-612. The audio defect was the same on both machines.

I took the discs back to the retailer where I bought 'em and exchanged for another set, but I have the same problem with this disc four as well.

I've gone through most of the episodes, including those on the fourth disc, and I haven't found any similar problems: it appears to only be the special features section.

Has anybody else experienced this, or is it just me?

Holden Pike

Stunt Coordinator
Picked up the "Monk" season one DVD set today, and the first thing I popped in was disc four with the special features. Sadly, I seem to be experiencing some sort of audio problem: the music track on the special features is at normal levels, while the other tracks are barely audible, even with the volume cranked. I have two DVD players, a Pioneer DVL-909 and a Sampo DVE-612. The audio defect was the same on both machines.

I took the discs back to the retailer where I bought 'em and exchanged for another set, but I have the same problem with this disc four as well.

I've gone through most of the episodes, including those on the fourth disc, and I haven't found any similar problems: it appears to only be the special features section.

Has anybody else experienced this, or is it just me?

Phil_La

Stunt Coordinator
I just tested all of the special features, and the audio sounds fine on my players. I used:
JVC XV-SA600 DVD player, HK AVR 230 receiver
computer Lite-on DVD player, PowerDVD software

My set came from Amazon.com by the way. I don't know what to tell you :frowning:

Phil_La

Stunt Coordinator
I just tested all of the special features, and the audio sounds fine on my players. I used:
JVC XV-SA600 DVD player, HK AVR 230 receiver
computer Lite-on DVD player, PowerDVD software

My set came from Amazon.com by the way. I don't know what to tell you :frowning:

MattHR

Screenwriter
The special features definitely have an audio mastering problem. The audio is mastered in matrixed Dolby 2.0, but the center and surrounds are reversed. The only way I was able to hear it properly (on my Lexicon MC-1) was to select the 2-channel mode, otherwise the dialog came only through the rears. I initially watched the set on my bedroom system, which is set to 2-channel default, so I didn't notice the problem.

I wonder if Universal will fix the problem and offer replacements. There are obviously going to be people out there unable to find the solution to listen to it without problems.

MattHR

Screenwriter
The special features definitely have an audio mastering problem. The audio is mastered in matrixed Dolby 2.0, but the center and surrounds are reversed. The only way I was able to hear it properly (on my Lexicon MC-1) was to select the 2-channel mode, otherwise the dialog came only through the rears. I initially watched the set on my bedroom system, which is set to 2-channel default, so I didn't notice the problem.

I wonder if Universal will fix the problem and offer replacements. There are obviously going to be people out there unable to find the solution to listen to it without problems.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I read about the problem in a review recently, so it appears not to be an isolated case.

I haven't gotten to the special features, yet - and probably won't for awhile - but I fully expect the same problem. I find that this is a common error on special features. Transferring this stuff to disc must be relegated to The New Guy...

As Matt said, usually tinkering with the settings on your receiver / surround processor can make it listenable... or swapping L & R analog cables...

-Scott

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I read about the problem in a review recently, so it appears not to be an isolated case.

I haven't gotten to the special features, yet - and probably won't for awhile - but I fully expect the same problem. I find that this is a common error on special features. Transferring this stuff to disc must be relegated to The New Guy...

As Matt said, usually tinkering with the settings on your receiver / surround processor can make it listenable... or swapping L & R analog cables...

-Scott

Real Name
Anthony
The upcoming R2 release seems to be devoid of the special features, so I'm thinking of going for the US. Did Universal sort this problem out, or am I likely to get one with audio problems ?

Stephen Ford

Stunt Coordinator
The R2 is the same as the R1.

Its been reviewed in one of the uk dvd mags and it does have the same extras as the R1.

Real Name
Anthony
Thanks Stephen. TOTAL FILM said it had no extras, and none of the websites list any either - hence my confusion. I wonder whether they've sorted the audio problems for the R2 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks