What's new

Monk - a great actor in a good show (1 Viewer)

Doug Craig

Agent
Real Name
Doug Craig
I've been watching Monk, Friday nights on USA, for the past few weeks, and I'm really enjoying it.
The writing quality fluctuates... but Tony Shaloub is always watchable and inventive. Every time he could have a cliche 'actors' response he manages to come up with something new and totally in line with the obsessive compulsive character he's playing.
I'm giving it :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: out of five.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I like the show also but I have only seen the first two episodes b/c I can never remember to watch:frowning:, the same goes for The Dead Zone.
The good thing is that Monk will be airing on ABC soon, something like 4 weeks after the episode airs on USA.
I need to get Tivo.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Yes you need a tivo :) which helps me tape all my fav shows on friday nights

Monk is hilarious though , and the dead zone is excellent as well. USA has two winners there

capt

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
I love Shalhoub... He'll always be Antonio Scarpacci to me though! Monk is only enjoyable because of Shalhoub's performance. The plot lines are awful... A 800lbs. murderer? Ugh. He needs to find a better vehicle for his talents.

Doug Craig

Agent
Real Name
Doug Craig
I watched another episode last night - the mystery murder on the ferris wheel episode (using an SVHS deck... no Tivo in my house), and I'm going to have to agree that the plots are skinny... all of the sudden inspiration strikes and he has the answer, and everyone just takes his word for it... (as if!) And the budgets look to be pretty low, too.

But Shalhoub is excellent. He's one of the producers for this show, so my guess is that he has a passion for it. If it catches on for a second season, I hope they find some money for better writing/stories and a little more time and care in the production process.
I'm still saying that it's a good watch (especially in rerun-ridden summertime). Shalhoub is great!

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
Kudos to the Monk crew! The more recent episodes airing on ABC have really been much more engaging. I hope it keeps improving.

Jim J

Second Unit
I agree. I have always liked Mr. S. I'm not sure why. He's the real reason to watch the show. Otherwise its all been done before on Columbo, etc.

Maybe it will get better, now that it is popular.

Interesting how it was developed for ABC, but then they passed. USA picked it up. It was a smash for them. Now ABC exercises their 'option' to air the show too.

When I heard ABC picked it up I thought: "Way to go Tony!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks