Monitoring Home security Cameras via WEB

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Tim L, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I am isolated from the street view and I would like to set up a somewhat modest (price wise) security camera system for my house-wireless would be preferable- but I wouldlike to monitor the cameras from anywhere (work etc) from a web address or maybe have the images sent to my e-mail addresss. Is there a program that will allow this? I know I have read this somewhere but cannot remember the name- Does anyone have any experience or uses something similar to this for their home? thanks
    Tim

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

We've set up hundreds of places via remote DVR purposes. Wireless will run you more, but it is possible; most of the time you'll want it to a web address or a rolling application on your computer, etc. Many DVRs will store a good deal of information.

Honestly, I'd contact a local security company (find a local ADI dealership.. they are a wholesaler.. and as about local security cos.. or see if you can 'sneak in' [​IMG]

It's out there, and it's not that bad expense wise.

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
  4. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

thanks for the reply guys, heyJoseph that system looks interesting-It mention capture via motion though- i was looking for something that stays on constent-that way I can just see whats going on , even if nothing is going on. I will keep trying to look around to see whats out there- is there anyone who uses this type of system?
    Tim

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

It sounds like it only automatically captures images when the motion sensor goes off, but you can watch what is going on live at any time. The cameras themselves don't go on and off based on the motion sensors. I'd also be surprised if there weren't a way around this. The capture-on-motion feature is probably the default to save disc space, but I'll be there's a way around it if you have plenty of room to spare. I'd check Motorola's site or give them a call for more info.

Regards,

Joe

6. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

I can tell you I had trouble with wireless due to all thwe noise around my house. Between all the wireless gadgets etc. we have I could never keep a great picture.

7. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I was going to go with wireless because my computer is upstairs and I want cameras on the first floor as well-can't see a way to get the wires down there-already tore the house up once-I'm done with that-I am a novice when it comes to this stuff so maybe there is a way around it somewhow? What program are you using John?

8. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

I'm not using anything like that. I was reffering to the wireless baby monitors and intercoms. I have never had good luck in my house.

9. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

10. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I've been looking at some different web stores (x10 etc)- some pretty cook stuff- but I don't don't know anything about these places- I might try a local place that does home automation-home theatre stuff etc. I just get nervous buying from web sometimes-especially when I am not that saavy about the product itself-hell I've never used or hooked up this stuff-HT stuff I can do-but Computer stuff is more of a challenge for me.[​IMG]
    Tim

11. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

If you're going with wireless security cameras, make sure that

1. They're NOT pointed at valuables inside your house, or

2. The wireless link is encrypted.

Otherwise you may be broadcasting a "shopping catalog" to the "wardrivers" among the criminal element.

12. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

Actually I wanted them for the outside of the house-different points around the property- so basically someone would see alot of trees-long driveway-nothing too exciting- but at least I could keep an eye on whats going on aroound the place-who drives up-that kind of stuff. But I did read about hackers getting into peoples cameras and watching and playing with them-crazy stuff. I know a guy who had a parrot he kept a camera on it and to keep an eye on it all day while he was at work- he has a website but I can't remember it offhand-seemed pretty cool though.