What's new

Monitor Switch (1 Viewer)

Ken Holmes

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a device out there where I can connect 2 computers to 1 monitor and switch between the 2?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken H

Ken Holmes

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a device out there where I can connect 2 computers to 1 monitor and switch between the 2?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken H

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
You want a KVM switch. You can check pricewatch, newegg, or simply google for KVM switch and get a variety of types by various manufacturers. I use an Iogear Miniview 2 port KVM that switches video, mouse ( PS2 - not serial ) and keyboard ( PS2 ) and it works great. Pressing the scroll lock key switches between systems ( if they are both powered up of course. ) Purchased mine from Newegg and have been very happy with it.

Newegg
pricewatch
KVMS

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
You want a KVM switch. You can check pricewatch, newegg, or simply google for KVM switch and get a variety of types by various manufacturers. I use an Iogear Miniview 2 port KVM that switches video, mouse ( PS2 - not serial ) and keyboard ( PS2 ) and it works great. Pressing the scroll lock key switches between systems ( if they are both powered up of course. ) Purchased mine from Newegg and have been very happy with it.

Newegg
pricewatch
KVMS

- Walter.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Walter's right. You want a KVM. Just as a note: if you buy used (or maybe even new) make sure it comes with the appropriate cables. The cables are funny and will cost an extra $20+ if they aren't included.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Walter's right. You want a KVM. Just as a note: if you buy used (or maybe even new) make sure it comes with the appropriate cables. The cables are funny and will cost an extra $20+ if they aren't included.

Ken Holmes

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help. I'm still debating if this would be a good solution or even a plausible solution for 2 computers (1 mac and 1 pc) to one monitor. These computers are used for grapgic artist purposes and I've read something about video degredation quality issues when using one of theses switches. I just hate to have to spend the $ for another monitor for the new mac that is going to cost an arm and a leg.

Ken Holmes

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help. I'm still debating if this would be a good solution or even a plausible solution for 2 computers (1 mac and 1 pc) to one monitor. These computers are used for grapgic artist purposes and I've read something about video degredation quality issues when using one of theses switches. I just hate to have to spend the $ for another monitor for the new mac that is going to cost an arm and a leg.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
If you buy a decent powered KVM, the quality is fine up to a particular resolution, like maybe 1600x1200. Check the specs. Simple switches with no power are definitely bad. I've had no problems with a Belkin Omniview, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've driven it quite that high.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
If you buy a decent powered KVM, the quality is fine up to a particular resolution, like maybe 1600x1200. Check the specs. Simple switches with no power are definitely bad. I've had no problems with a Belkin Omniview, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've driven it quite that high.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Definitely read the specs. They should all say what resolution they are good for. A quick question though . . . isn't a Mac's monitor connection different from a PC? I would think this could cause a problem (unless both are DVI).

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Definitely read the specs. They should all say what resolution they are good for. A quick question though . . . isn't a Mac's monitor connection different from a PC? I would think this could cause a problem (unless both are DVI).

Ken Holmes

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I'm not sure about the mac connection that is why I don't know if this would work, anyone with a mac have a clue if this the connection for a monitor different than a pc?

Ken Holmes

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I'm not sure about the mac connection that is why I don't know if this would work, anyone with a mac have a clue if this the connection for a monitor different than a pc?

Ken.Nischan

Agent
I bought a Linksys 8 port KVM but idiotically did not check the type of cables it uses.. once I got it in the mail I found out it didn't use a "regular" KVM style cable but rather a DB25->KVM. The Linksys DB25 cables are $20 a pop too. Ugh.

Ken.Nischan

Agent
I bought a Linksys 8 port KVM but idiotically did not check the type of cables it uses.. once I got it in the mail I found out it didn't use a "regular" KVM style cable but rather a DB25->KVM. The Linksys DB25 cables are $20 a pop too. Ugh.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Depends on the Mac. It could be VGA, DVI, or ADC. DVI should convert to VGA no problem. A really old Mac would have DB15 (right) instead of HDB15 (left) for VGA:
There are also ADC (right) to DVI (left) converters:

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Depends on the Mac. It could be VGA, DVI, or ADC. DVI should convert to VGA no problem. A really old Mac would have DB15 (right) instead of HDB15 (left) for VGA:
There are also ADC (right) to DVI (left) converters:

Ken Holmes

Stunt Coordinator
The mac will be new likely a G5. Would I need to buy one of these adaptors? The monitor I'm wanting to share is a CRT (no DVI).

Ken Holmes

Stunt Coordinator
The mac will be new likely a G5. Would I need to buy one of these adaptors? The monitor I'm wanting to share is a CRT (no DVI).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks