Monitor Signal Interference - What could be the problem?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ThomasC, Aug 21, 2004.

1. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I moved into an apartment two days ago, and I've noticed that the monitor image is shaking slightly, and I'm guessing it's because of interference, because I've had that problem before, and I've been able to solve it. However, I'm not sure what the culprit is here. My monitor is a Dell/Sony Trinitron P780. Here are the electronics I've got nearby: Motorola SB5100 cable modem, hp LaserJet 1012 (although I didn't plug it in until today), U.S. Robotics 8003 router, Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers, and sonicare Elite charger and brush (you never know [​IMG]). I don't think it's something in the walls, but I guess it could be. I do have a 2.1 speaker setup, and I think it could be the sub, because I remember reading a warning that the sub shouldn't be too close to the monitor, so the monitor is on the desk, and the sub is below it on the ground. However, I've never had this problem before in the past 3 years with that configuration. The walls aren't thick, but I guess even an electrical wire could cause interference. Can anybody help me out?

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Subs make great footrests! I've had mine like that since pre 2k.

Anyway, I'd suggest moving the monitor cable. I had an extension on mine once that made it shake, but it's position (in relation to any other wires) can be crucial sometimes.

Even pick up the monitor and move it to see if the shaking stops.

Glenn

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Thanks, Glenn. I've tried moving the monitor forward to see if it was the wall that was causing it, but no luck. The desk is packed, so I can't move it around much. I'm at work right now, so I'll try the monitor cable thing later. The thing is, the way my desk is set up, the monitor cable is all used up, so I can't really move it unless I move the monitor to another position, which, like I said, will be hard for the way I want it set up. So, I think I'll try getting an extension and see how that works out. I'd still like suggestions if there are any more.

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

Try a different outlet as well, the electrical interference being picked up could be from the main power.

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

After moving the computer closer to the monitor yesterday so the cord could be looser, the jitter stopped, but it started up again today. I remembered that the refresh rate can reduce or get rid of jitter. It was already set at 85Hz, but my monitor can support up to 100Hz. I set it to that just a few minutes ago, and I think the jitter has stopped.

EDIT: Ugh, now things don't look as sharp. Is that what happens when you increase the refresh rate, or is it just my eyes?

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Yep, increasing refresh = more blurry, less sharp.

7. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Well, it's definitely not too bad, so I guess it's a compromise I'll have to make.